Humor Fiction posted March 7, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Is Feng Shui for real

Good Night Sweet Dragon

by prettybluebirds


My best friend, Sandy, said the bracelet contained mystical properties. She guaranteed it was true. 
 
"You guarantee it?" I said with sarcasm dripping from every word.
 
"Yep, Carol, that's what the woman I bought it from told me. She said it brings good luck and wealth to the person wearing it, but you must treat it respectfully. It's a Feng Shui bracelet made by Taoist Monks and contains yin and yang; good and evil, light and dark, things like that."
 
"It sounds like a bunch of hooey to me," I replied. "But it is pretty, and I thank you with all my heart. I will think of you whenever I wear it." I was glad she couldn't see my mental eye roll.
 
Sandy continued, "You must wear it on your left arm every day, but be sure and take it off at night as it can cause weird dreams; I learned the hard way, and believe me, it's true. I forgot to take it off and had some terrifying nightmares. One night I dreamed my first husband returned minus his head, with blood and gore everywhere. But on a better note, when I wore it daily, I noticed good things began to happen. I received an unexpected inheritance and met a wonderful man who became my seventh husband. It works so well I wanted to share, so I returned to the fortune-telling lady and bought one for you. That's what friends are all about. Right?"
 
Sandy's first husband stuck a deer rifle in his mouth and committed suicide many years ago. Since then, she has drifted from one marriage to the next. I wasn't sure I would consider husband number seven good luck, but the money part sounded great.
 
I had to agree the bracelet was a lovely work of art. The center contained a gold dragon surrounded by large gold and black beads. Chinese symbols swirled around each bead to complete the mystical image. Sandy has long believed in the supernatural aspect of life and tried to convince me it exists. Usually, I wouldn't waste my time with something of this nature, but I thought, what the heck, I might as well give it a chance. I could sure use some financial assistance.
 
When I got home, I took the bracelet out of the velvet bag in which it came. I carefully cleaned it according to the directions and slipped it on my left arm. When I removed the bracelet at night, I wiped it off and returned it to the bag. I even stroked the dragon's ugly little head and said, "Good night Sweet Dragon." Now, all I needed to do was wait for dame fortune to come my way, and that's what I did. I waited, and waited, and waited some more. Three months passed, and still, I waited. Something had to change soon, or the sweet dragon would wind up in the garbage can. I should have known better than to believe that happy-crappy stuff in the first place. 
 
Well, something did happen. I got scammed and lost a bunch of money before I got things under control. I threw the bracelet, sweet dragon, and all into the trash. That's it, I thought. I was right in the first place; it's a bunch of nonsense.
 
That night a weight on my stomach woke me from a sound sleep. Terror flooded my veins when I opened my eyes to behold a small dragon. It didn't say anything and never hurt me; it simply stared at me with its red eyes. There was no need for words; I got the message loud and clear.
 
I turned the light on. The dragon retreated to the corner where it sat, watching my every move. I retrieved the bracelet and the bag from the garbage, then slowly and reverently cleaned the bracelet before returning it to the bag. I started to close the bag, and the dragon hissed. "Oh, sorry," I said. "Good night Sweet Dragon." I rubbed the head of the dragon charm. The dragon gave a satisfied "huff" and disappeared.
 
When I woke up in the morning, I wasn't sure if I had dreamed the whole thing or not. However, the bracelet was back in the bag, and I knew I had thrown it away the previous day. I put the bracelet back on my arm, where it would remain during the day from now on. Lesson learned. Don't mess with Feng Shui.
 
 
 
 



Let's Write Some Prose contest entry

Recognized

#36
March
2023
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by helvi2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. prettybluebirds All rights reserved.
prettybluebirds has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.