Romance Fiction posted March 5, 2023 Chapters: Prologue -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Seth and Emma learn more about each other.

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Faith Chapter 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's? If He does, will she listen?
Previous Post:

"Ace and I'll check to make sure it's safe."

"It wouldn't do any good to say you don't have to, would it?"

Seth exhaled. A complete search ensued. "It's safe."

"Thank you. You take security seriously, don't you?"

"I'm the police chief. It's what I do."

"I guess that's true."

His hand grasped the doorknob. "Ms. Winters, make sure the door's locked."

"I will. Thank you, again."

He listened for the lock to engage before leaving her porch.

*****
Seth with is his dog, Ace, headed toward their house, glanced over his shoulder at Emma's cabin, and shook his head. "She's definitely a young'un. This is going to be interesting."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 2

Emma sat in the church pew between her parents, Susan and Keith and listened to Pastor Pat welcome the congregation. He greeted the college students who were home for the summer and then said, "I also want to congratulate Emma Winters. We've watched Emma grow up in this church family. I understand she's officially graduated from LeTourneau University with the top honor of Summa Cum Laude. Emma, we're proud of you." His eyebrows rose as he grinned. "I'm hoping we can convince you to sing for us. We've missed your voice. Am I right?"

The congregation applauded, and Pastor Pat motioned for her to come forward. "Emma, please?"

Emma remained in the pew. "I didn't bring my guitar. I'm not prepared."

Keith stood, walked to the back of the sanctuary, and held up his guitar.

"Daddy!" Emma exhaled, took the guitar from him, and walked to the front. "I feel set up. Please forgive me. I don't have anything prepared." She thought a moment. "I'll sing one of my all-time favorites, 'Victory in Jesus'. I hope you enjoy. Many of you know the song. Feel free to sing along." She strummed a few chords and then began, "I heard an old, old story, how a Savior came from glory..."

The congregation applauded as the song ended.

"Thank you. You're too kind."

On the way to her seat, she noticed Seth sitting in the backrow pew, watching, and shaking his head. He shakes his head a lot. I don't know what it means, but I bet it's not good.

*****
The service ended and while the congregation stood on the church's front lawn visiting, Seth walked up. "Ms. Winters, how's your wound?"

"It feels much better. Thank you for asking. I'm sorry we bothered you last night."

"Don't worry about it. Dogs can be unpredictable." Seth glanced around, before he said, "You have a nice voice. Thank you for sharing."

"You're welcome. I wasn't prepared."

Pastor Pat came from behind and pecked her cheek. "Thank you, Emma." He teased, "I'm giving you fair warning; be prepared every Sunday."

"I'm sure if that happens the congregation will quit attending."

"They'll keep coming. They love your music too much and will show up for no other reason than to hear you sing. I'm betting once the word gets out, attendance will rise."

She exhaled and frowned.

Seth shook his head. "I'm in agreement with Pastor Pat."

A soft pink glow caressed Emma's cheeks. "Thank you, both."

Susan touched her daughter's shoulder. "Emma, we're leaving. Are you close?"

"I'll be right behind you. I'm stopping by my house to get Molly." She hugged Pastor Pat. "I'm sure I'll see you in a few minutes at my parents'."

He rubbed his stomach. "I can't wait. Since you're working at the bakery, you'll see me every day and probably get tired of me."

"I'd never get tired of my godfather," she teased, "but don't trick me into singing. I need some warning."

Another parishioner walked up and engaged Pastor Pat in conversation. Emma gracefully said goodbye and headed home.

Seth walked to his pickup but kept an eye on Emma. She's full of surprises.

*****
The low evening sun barely peaked above her cabin's roof as Emma drove down the lane. In her open garage door, stood shirtless, squared jawed, rugged short-stubble, handsome Seth working on the door opener, Ace by his side. Oh my! She stepped from the car.

Molly ran and yapped at Seth.

He grabbed his T-shirt and pulled it over his head. "Sorry. I thought I was alone."

"You were until I drove up. Well, except for Ace." She reached in the backseat and lifted a box filled with dishes.

Seth stood beside her. "I'll carry that."

"I can."

He took it. "It looks heavy and smells good. What is it?"

"Leftovers from Sunday dinner. I can't remember a time when Mom and Dad didn't prepare the traditional huge Sunday dinner. Pastor Pat rarely misses the meal. Mom sent the leftovers home with me." She tilted her head. "Why don't you stay for supper? There's plenty."

"That's not necessary."

She glanced at the garage door. "Fixin' this on the day God set aside for rest wasn't necessary either."

"I guess that's true."

"So, you'll stay?"

"Sounds like I don't have a choice."

"I bet that doesn't happen often."

Seth's brown eyes widened. "Somebody inviting me to eat with them?"

"I'm sure you get plenty of invitations. I meant I doubt you don't have a choice."

"You could be right. I think this is a first." Seth moved his head toward a side door. "I'll put this inside. Where do you want it?"

"Anywhere on the kitchen counter."

He noticed she glanced at the garage door. "It should work. After I put this inside, you can try it."

Once the box was taken care of, Seth handed Emma the remote. "Ms. Winters, check it out."

A smile graced her lips as the garage door went down. "Now, I'll see if it goes up."

"It should."

Emma held her breath and pushed the button. When the door went up, she bounced up and down. Her eyes sparkled. "Thank you."

Seth shook his head and glanced around the garage. "I'll pick up the tools and then I'm finished."

"I'll wait inside." Emma and Molly went in.

Emma slipped out of her dress and into jeans before she searched for Seth. When she didn't see him, she checked the front yard. "You didn't need to wait out here. You could've come in." She held open the door.

"I didn't feel comfortable just walking in."

"I thought a landlord could enter whenever they wanted."

"A renter has rights, even a landlord or I can't enter without a warrant or an emergency."

"Thank you." Emma did a quick braid of her long copper hair and then began taking dishes from the box. "I hope you like pot roast, veggies, mashed potatoes, gravy, homemade rolls, and fresh peach pie." She opened the freezer and frowned. "Thought so."

"A problem?"

"I like ice cream with peach pie, but I finished it a few days ago." She watched Seth head toward the door. "Where you going?"

"I have ice cream at home."

"It's not right to invite somebody to eat with you and then ask him to supply food."

"Ice cream's hardly food." He left, but Ace remained.

*****
Holding the ice cream carton Seth paused a few feet from the house and watched Emma roughhousing in the front yard with Molly and Ace. He shook his head. "Is this why you changed?"

"I'm more of a blue jeans and T-shirt gal. I was brought up to wear dresses to church."

He handed her the ice cream container. "Here."

They went inside, and Emma put it in the freezer, as she said, "Thank you, but you didn't need to." She glanced at her watch and then motioned to the couch. "It's a little early to eat. Have a seat."

Silence filled the room.

"Is LeTourneau University as strict as its reputation?" asked Seth.

"I guess it depends how you look at it. I didn't think so. It's a small close-knit campus. Where did you go?"

"Sam Houston State University." He hesitated. "What did you major in? Something to do with children?"

Her smile lit her face. "What tipped you off?"

"Your personality. Maybe elementary education?"

"I have a double major, elementary ed. and social work. I minored in business. I wanted to be able to help Dad." Emma watched Molly climb on Ace. "Ace is really sweet to put up with her." She went over and picked up the small dog. "You need to leave him alone. He's a guest." Her green eyes met Seth's. "I'm guessing you majored in something like law enforcement."

"A masters' in Criminal Justice."

"Makes sense. Did you come straight to Beaverton from college?"

"I worked a few years in Cedarville before I got this job. Jake Baker was my mentor."

"Jake and Dad are good friends. They fish and hunt together. He's like an uncle to me."

"Jake's like an uncle and Pastor Pat's your godfather. I'd say you're in good hands."

Her eyes twinkled and danced. "You're probably right."

Seth, again, shook his head. "A few years back, Jake introduced me to your dad." He pointed at a fishing pole in the corner. "You fish and hunt?"

"Dad taught me to fish. We go often. He tried to teach me to hunt, but I failed miserably."

"How can you fail at hunting?" Seth's eyebrows crunched together.

Emma hung her head. "I know how to shoot. I'm good at hitting the target." She exhaled. "Dad complained I'm too chatty, bubbly, and notified the prey I'm there." She nibbled her index fingernail. "I couldn't kill a cute furry animal with big brown eyes."

"But you fish?"

"Fish aren't cute and furry. Their eyes are sort of beady."

Grinning, Seth said, "I see." He noticed her guitar lying in a chair. "On hunting and fishing trips with Keith and Jake I've heard your dad play. He's good. Did he teach you? What are your favorite genres?"

"Dad got me started. I also took lessons. Religious songs are my favorite with country being a close second. I love playing. I just don't like surprise gigs. I want time to prepare."

"You did great this morning."

"Thank you." She scanned the area. "Why don't I warm up dinner? I hope you don't mind sitting at the kitchen bar. I don't have a table and chairs yet."

"How can I help?"

"I have it under control. Warming's easy."

After dinner was set out, Seth took a bite. "Your mom's a good cook. Do you cook?"

"I do. Mom started me at an early age."

"Is there anything you don't do, besides hunt?"

"I'm not sure. I don't have a regular job. So far, I'm only working with Mom and Dad."

"Were you offered a teaching job?"

"I was, five. I didn't accept them. They didn't feel right. I believe God will direct me to what I'm supposed to do."

"How will He do that?"

"Just listen with an open heart." Emma picked up her plate.

"I'll help."

"No need to. There's only a few."

Seth handed her the dishes as she rinsed and put them in the dishwasher.

The dishes were taken care of and then Seth said, "I'd better head home. Thank you for dinner."

Both heads turned as Molly stood at the door barking. Emma picked up the small dog. "You want out? It's dark. Do your job and come right back." She set her down and opened the door.

Off ran Molly barking.

"Molly, no!" Emma faced Seth and frowned. "That's what she did last night."

"Ace, get her." He pointed.

"How does he do that?"

"He's trained and he's a shepherd. They naturally herd. He's herding Molly to where he wants her to go."

Ace returned Molly to the house.

Seth picked her up and held her eye-to-eye. "She's a pretty little thing, but I'm not convinced she's an actual dog." Still holding her, he stared at the backdoor. "This little lady has issues going out. Maybe you need a doggy door."

"No, she would go in and out all day," interrupted Emma. "The problem's not that she goes out, it's what she does while she's there."

"I see. If you'd be willing to help, we could build an outside fence so she wouldn't have the run of the yard."

"I can't afford that. I barely make enough for rent and groceries."

"Your input would be to help with labor."

"Are you sure?"

"It's the easiest way to solve the problem. Let me think about it for a few days and get back to you." Seth set Molly on the floor. "I should get going. Goodnight."

Seth opened the door and saw headlights at the top of the lane. Wonder who that is and what they're doing. He faced Emma. "At night keep the curtains drawn. I'll see you at the bakery." Ace and Seth walked home.

~~~~~
Fixin' is Texas slang, I've heard it is used throughout the South.
~~~~~

Thank you Youtube for sharing Carrie Underwood's "Victory in Jesus".




*****
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend




Recognized

#11
March
2023


Thank you for the wonderful support of this new novel. I was encouraged to keep writing.

Thank you Google Images for the image of what Seth may look like.

This post is a little over 2000 words long and as usual I made changes as I posted. I know it's long, but when I tried to split it, I ended up with short and still a long post. I'll post high to reward you for reading. I know Seth shakes his head a lot, it will be addressed down the road. I also know he comes across bossy, that will also be addressed down the road. Both are character flaws that will be addressed. I promise. Again, thank you for all your help and suggestions.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.