Fantasy Fiction posted February 23, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
She regenerated herself a family.

Peggy Planarian

by damommy


Peggy Planarian was a very lonesome little girl.  She had no brothers or sisters.  As far as she knew, there was no one like her in the world.  At least, she’d never met anyone like her.  The other creatures that lived in the soil made fun of her.  They called her a flatworm, which she was, but it was the way they said it that hurt.

Ground beetles said she had no reason to live and should bury herself as deep as she could go.

The centipedes laughed because she had no feet and slithered her way around.

The ants and the termites called her a cannibal because she was known to eat other worms and insects.

This saddened Peggy because she meant no harm to anyone.  She simply wanted a friend.

One day, this giant sharp thing came from out of nowhere and sliced poor Peggy in two.  She was horrified!  After a while, she began to grow everything back. Not only that, but her other half rebuilt itself completely.

When Peggy realized this, she kept chopping up herself and all the others produced from this action until she was surrounded by friends just like herself.   Soon, everybody regenerated themselves until they had their own little tribe.  It wasn’t long until they got together and built a village.  Some of the tribe opted to live in lakes, but they all stayed in touch with their special Peggy.

Never again was Peggy lonesome, and the joke was on the ones who had mocked her.




Recognized

#65
February
2023


Planarians, a kind of flatworm, exhibit an extraordinary ability to regenerate lost body parts. For example, a planarian split lengthwise or crosswise will regenerate into two separate individuals. If cut in two, it can regenerate the missing organs. It's hoped that we can learn from the planarian, or flatworm, to regenerate tissue in humans.

Club entry for the "Self-decapitation super power" event in "Flash Fiction/Nonfiction".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. damommy All rights reserved.
damommy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.