Children Fiction posted February 19, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ava discovers her very own

Magic Book

by Wendy G

Children's Story contest Contest Winner 

Ava, after a busy day of school and play, was fast asleep.

Suddenly she heard something! A small voice. Was she dreaming? She listened carefully.

“Open this book if you want …,” the voice softly said. Ava looked around.

The voice continued, “What’s that I hear? You don’t like reading?”

Ava was puzzled. She hadn’t said anything! But that was exactly what she was thinking!

“Okay, then don’t open me - but you will miss …”

Ava was astonished. Who was speaking? Where was this voice coming from?

“You want to know what you’ll miss? Well, I am not telling.”

Ava blinked in surprise! Yes, the voice knew exactly what she was thinking. The voice seemed to be coming from her dressing table!

She slowly got up and moved to her dressing table. A book lay on top. The one her Nan had written.

But she hadn’t opened it. She didn’t really like reading. She preferred playing outside. Or using her father’s iPad if she wanted a story. The stories were animated on the iPad. It was easy to swipe to the next “page”.

“Do you even know how to open me?” It was the book – yes, the book was speaking!

Ava was astonished. She moved closer.

“Don’t swipe me! Carefully take the bottom corner on the right, and lift it over to the left!”

“If you don’t open me, you will miss … the magic!”

Ava could not believe her ears. She would open the book! She did as she was asked, and the voice continued.

She read the first page. There were not many words.

She simply read “The magic keys will open …”.

Magic keys? What would they open?

“You must turn the page again,” she heard the voice say.

Ava turned the page again. Only three words this time! “Your imagination, and … !”

Ava could not stop there. Open her imagination? And what else? She turned the page.

“You will see how much you are loved!”

Ava started to cry. She had been in trouble before she went to bed. She had pinched her little sister who was annoying her.

Ava spoke to the book. “How do you know? How do you know what I am thinking? How do you know what I am feeling?"

The book replied gently.

“Ava, I am magic. Books contain magic. I know all about you, I understand, and I love you! Your Nan made me! She made me for YOU, with stories for and about YOU, because she loves you.”

Ava said quietly, “But sometimes I am naughty, and I get into trouble, and then I don’t feel loved!”

The book replied, “There are funny stories, and true stories, and sweet stories, and some fairy stories, and … you’ll see! What will you see? How much you are loved. I know you need to feel loved. When you read me, you will recognize yourself – and you will also recognize other people. And I will give you understanding! Because I am a book! I share my magic, with all who read.”

“There aren’t many pictures!” whispered Ava.

“There are not many pictures because Nan can’t draw very well. That’s why you need to use your imagination. When you read the words, you will get pictures in your mind. You will make the pictures yourself. They will match the words!”

“Does the book have stories about my whole family? Do THEY all still love me?”

“Of course!” replied the book, “and that is just why your Nan wrote ME! So you will know that you are greatly loved. By all of us. You’ll see, I promise!”

“And don’t worry,” continued the soft voice of the book.

“Everyone does wrong things sometimes. We are all just learners. You are learning to be a child, and how to grow up. Your Dad and Mum are learning to be parents. You are their first child - so they will also make mistakes sometimes. Being a parent is hard! And your Nan – she still makes mistakes! She’s still learning to be a Nan!”

“Goodness,” said Ava. “We should all wear L-plates like cars when people are learning to drive! L for Learners!”

“Yes,” said the book. “And don’t forget that forgiving each other is a part of love. So is caring. So is patience. Yes, a book written with love for you will have all that you need, dear child!”

“Now, Ava,” said the book, “I think we have talked long enough. Go back to sleep. And tomorrow, you can read me. The book has lots of stories, but you can take your time. Let the magic begin!”

The next morning, Ava hugged her parents. “I had a strange dream last night! I am sorry I was naughty last night! I love you all so much!” She showed them her book, and said,

“I am going to read this book that Nan wrote. It has magic keys …”

“Magic keys?” her mother asked.

“Yes, the magic keys to open my imagination … and to remind me that I am loved!”

“But you don’t like reading!” her mother exclaimed.

“I have changed my mind! I want to start my book right away!”




Children's Story contest
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.