General Fiction posted February 3, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Short story 150 words

Shopping Trip

by CrystieCookie999


The neighborhood market looked inviting, with its open bushel baskets of gleaming Gala and Red Delicious apples. I had no use for the prior week's harvest, of some large, lumpy objects with thick, orange rinds. But apples were a promising change.

A matronly lady parked her car, exited, and adjusted her glasses. She stood so close to me, where I huddled behind a shrub, that I could have nipped her ankles. She peered at a hand-written sale sign.

"Buy nine apples, get one free!" She chortled, delighted to have discovered a true bargain. Once she filled up her shopping bag, I decided to nip her ankles after all. Her loaded bag dropped with a thud, and the apples rolled out. Sinking my teeth into one apple, I carried it off into the deep, dark underbrush for a juicy breakfast. I did not even feel guilty. It was the free apple!



Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized


Because even raccoons can be bargain hunters. Thanks to "willie" for a great raccoon photo. The program here on fanstory said this was 150 words in the main text. But manually counting it yielded a count of 148 words. I assume a hyphenated word is one word still. So I edited it to make a manual count of 150 words, minus the title.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by willie at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. CrystieCookie999 All rights reserved.
CrystieCookie999 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.