General Non-Fiction posted January 19, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
True story

Begging Birds

by damommy


(Not an actual photo of my birds)

If I hadn’t seen this for myself, I wouldn’t believe it, so I’ll understand if you don’t.

For years, I’ve kept bird feeders filled, especially in winter when food is needed to keep up body heat, and hunting is sparse.  I love watching the activity and interaction of the different birds that come to my hanging diners.

It was just a couple of weeks ago when I first noticed what was happening, and since then, I’ve been keeping an eye out.

It started with one bird perching on my porch rail, peeping in the glass door at me.  One by one, he was joined by the others, all different species.  Some cardinals, grackles, blue jays, doves, and sparrows, all staring into my house.  Not a sound was heard.  Just stares. I got the message that the feeders needed filling.

I tried to get photos, but, of course, they flew away when I came near the door with a camera.

When I step outside is when the fussing begins.  The air is filled with what I suspect are birds cussing up a storm at me for being slow.  

One week, I wasn’t able to fill the feeders for a couple of days because of back pain. Then I noticed a crowd of birds in the tree nearest the porch, the ones who couldn’t find room on the porch rails. The tree with the feeders is several feet away in the middle of the front yard. 

I haven’t seen this activity at the feeders in the side yard, but I suspect those birds are joining the ones on the front porch. Quite a mob!  The longer it takes me to get out there, the bigger the crowd.  I think every bird within a five mile radius joined the protest.

As I said, I know this is hard to believe, but I swear it’s true.  I’ve spoiled the local bird population, but who knew that was possible?  Now, it seems I have flocks of bratty birds on my hands.  To be honest, I love everyone of them.  I feel blessed to see them every day.




Recognized

#29
January
2023


(Not an actual photo of my birds)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. damommy All rights reserved.
damommy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.