General Fiction posted January 17, 2023 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Do Other Worlds Exist

A chapter in the book Cody Moments

Cody Moment - #5 - Exoplanets

by Brett Matthew West


Chewing on blades of grass, two barefooted boys laid on their backs on the hiillside overlooking Sullivan Lake. Their legs crossed at the knees, and the fingers on their hands interlocked behind their heads, they contemplated the cosmos.

Cody was the first to speak, "You hear about that new planet they just discovered?"

Matt rolled over on his elbows and replied, "C'mon, you know I don't fall for all that Woke stuff. I don't even believe anyone's ever walked on the moon."

"Since we read that Yahoo article where Buzz Aldrin claimed all that moon landing stuff was staged it makes you wonder if any of that stuff is real," Cody admitted.

"He should know. He was supposed to be the second man to walk on the moon behind that Armistead dude," Matt agreed.

"You mean Neil Armstrong," Cody corrected him.

"I read in some book Buzz Aldren got all depressed and drank lots of alcohol after his alleged moon walking mission. What does that tell you walking on the moon does to your mind?" Matt asked.

Cody thought a moment, then said, "You know they got this real powerful telescope."

Matt cut him off, "That James Webb Space thing."

"Anyway, it was supposed to have discovered an exoplanet not far from our solar system that's like the Earth," Cody stated.

"Is it an X or an O planet?" Matt teased.

"Exoplanet" Cody replied, "that means it orbits its own star, kind of like the Earth circles the sun. Except this one completes its orbit in two days, and, it is almost the same size as the Earth."

"Any little green spaceman been found there?" a cynical Matt asked.

Slightly annoyed, Cody rolled his eyes. "No. It's a lot hotter than the Earth, and they don't know what kind of atmosphere it has yet. They think it might be carbon dioxide."

"So, nothing could live there if it wanted to. Why waste money looking for exoplanets like that? At least, Mister Space Scout, tell me that," Matt replied.

"Don't know," Cody conceded.

"I better get home and get my chores done or my dad is going to send me to the nearest exoplanet he can find. All these thrown away efforts on useless exoplanet hunting!" Matt scoffed mounting his two-wheeler.

Cody gazed deep into outer space...and pondered.




This Is Evan, by Lilibug6, selected to complement all my Cody Schroder books and stories.








The exoplanet the James Webb Space Telescope recently discovered is called LHS 475 b. It is supposed to be 41 Light Years from the Earth.

Reading about the discovery triggered this Cody Moment.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.