Biographical Non-Fiction posted January 16, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Third Place

Guest Star Cancellation

by Douglas Goff


Aug 16th ,1977, I was eight years old. The previous fall, something incredible happened. On September 5th, 1976, CBS aired a Jim Henson production called The Muppet Show. 

The silly genius of Henson lit a fire of imagination in my best friend Duane and I. We started our own production company in his basement. We stole doll clothes from our sisters and created our own puppets from Styrofoam. 

We made twenty. Our plan was to do a dance themed show featuring musicians with our puppets. We created a stage complete with a disco ball. We used his parents’ camera and filmed our skits. We chose Queen and Elvis music, certain the artists would one day guest star live on our show. 

That August day, Duane’s mother hollered down, “Hey, your dad’s coming.” 

“The monster!” Duane used the term that all us kids used for my abusive stepfather. 

Out the door I went into the nearby two-acre woods. It was 98 acres too small for Winnie The Pooh, but it hid me well.

After the Monster passed by screaming for me, Duane came over and looked at me solemnly, saying, “Elvis just died.”  

I remember thinking, “Now I won’t meet Elvis.” 




Long Live the King! writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story about where you were, what you were doing, and how you and others reacted when you heard that Elvis had died. The first sentence should tell us how old you were. No longer than two hundred words please.


I often wonder where those long lost Production tapes are. I'm sure that they are pure gold!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Douglas Goff All rights reserved.
Douglas Goff has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.