General Fiction posted January 14, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Through The Eyes of a Child contest entry

On My Birthday

by DragonSkulls


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I waited weeks for our big day. It was my birthday and Daddy was coming to pick me up. After Mommy and Daddy divorced, I don't see Daddy too often so I was excited.

When he picked me up, in the front seat, I tore the wrapping off the present he gave me. It was a new baseball glove and a ball. The whole way to his new house he told me how we'd spend the day playing catch. He'd teach me how to throw a pitch that no batter could ever hit and the secrets of throwing a curve ball, maybe even a spit ball. I was so happy. I planned on the best day of my life, just me and Dad again.

His house was in the country and it took a while to get there. We went in and Dad made me a peanut butter sandwich and said when I was done we'd get out on the lawn and have a blast. Then he went into another room saying he'd be back in a minute.

I ate my sandwich and headed outside. I practiced trowing the ball straight up in the air and catching it. I did that over and over and over to be sure I'd make Daddy proud when he came out for catch. After a long time, I went in to see why he didn't come out yet.

He was at his computer. "I'll be there in a couple minutes, son. I have to finish what I'm working on before I can come out."

"Okay, Dad." I went back outside and practiced some more. He lived where no other kids were around. There wasn't even a road in front of his house where any kids could be playing. He had a long driveway so I was outside all by myself. I climbed one of his trees, chased a rabbit and looked for snakes but didn't find any. I was so bored. I finally went back inside again. He was still at his computer. "Ready, Dad?"

"Just a few more minutes, Justin. I'm nearly done." He didn't even turn his head to look at me.

"Come on, Dad."

"Go back outside, I'll be there in a minute." I knew he wouldn't. I went outside and just threw my new glove and ball in the dirt. I leaned up against the wall and said to myself, "That's why they got a divorce in the first place. Mommy couldn't take it anymore. Now I understand."

I wished that I'd just stayed home. I shook my head and accepted it.
"Daddy loves FanStory more."
 
 
 
 



Through the eyes of a child writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story (100-500 words). The story must include a child's perspective of an object or situation. The story may be told from the viewpoint of the child, or an adult.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. DragonSkulls All rights reserved.
DragonSkulls has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.