Romance Fiction posted January 5, 2023 Chapters:  ...51 52 -53- 54... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ali confides in Cord.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 25 C

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 43 days ago.

PREVIOUS POST:

They waited until Codero left before, Caridad teased, "Don't ever say again you're not dating. You're in a relationship with Mr. Dreamy, and every woman in Lobo's jealous."

Lisa added, "Not only Lobo, but the entire West Texas area."

Standing Nancy said, "I hate to end this, but we really need to get back and help with clean up." She came over and hugged Alexandra. "I'm glad we came. We need to do this more often."

"I agree. I had fun. Please come by again."

The other three women hugged Alexandra and agreed they needed to spend more time together.

Alexandra opened her laptop but stared at it. It was fun talking with other women. She studied the sunlight through the window. I wonder if Cord thinks we're in a relationship.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 25 C

Around dinner time, Cordero came into Alexandra's room and pecked her cheek. "Hi. I was wondering if you'd like to come to the dinner table."

"I'd like to, but has Dr. Barnes left?"

He chuckled. "He has. How many times did he drop by?"

"Three."

Pointing toward the door, he said, "After I clean up, I'll be back."

"Thank you."

*****
It wasn't long before Cordero returned. "Ready?" Alexandra acknowledged she was, and he lifted her. As he drew her close, a lingering kiss followed. "I didn't think I'd better do that in front of your friends."

"I'm surprised you even kissed me."

He chuckled. "I couldn't help myself. You looked happy."

"I was."

As Cordero set Alexandra in a chair at the table, Rosa said, "I hope you don't mind leftovers. I've had a busy day."

Alexandra's eyes met hers. "I'm sorry I didn't help."

Jorge chuckled. "Not helping kept you from being admitted to the hospital. Bart was serious about you staying in bed." He roughed up Samson's ears. "Did this big lug really visit you in the bathtub?"

Rosa eyed her son. "He did and splashed water everywhere. At least Ali wasn't hurt."

"Mom, I'm sorry. He follows me everywhere and happens to have a crush on Ali."

Jim entered. "Sorry, I knocked, but I don't think you heard me." He glanced at Cordero. "Boss, all single Ortiz men have a crush on Ali; to include Chip and Samson."

Ali's cheeks turned crimson, as Cordero teased, "Do you have a reason for breaking and entering or did you just come to pick on me?"

He motioned for Cordero to follow. "I have a reason, but you opened the door for teasing. I couldn't help it."

After a brief conversation, Cordero returned to the table. "Jim, sit beside Dad."

"Mom, since Jim's here I invited him."

"Jim, you know you have a standing invitation every night, but you never come."

"I don't want to interfere with family time."

Jorge helped himself to some potato salad. "As long as you've been with us, you're family."

"Thanks, Boss."

Cordero nodded. "Dad, Jim checked the work we did today and thinks if we have another day like today, we could have most of the repairs finished Tuesday; at least enough so the barn will be serviceable."

"Good. God blessed us with good friends who showed up. Most said they'd be back tomorrow."

Alexandra's eyes widened. "Will Dr. Barnes return tomorrow?" She paused. "I know you need the help."

Jorge chuckled. "My dear, he will. I guess you have another day in bed."

Her lips formed a pout. "At least I'm getting a lot of office work done. Mom's happy."

Cordero used his finger and caressed her cheek. "I'm sure you're healing faster." He nodded toward the outside. "Last week we saddled Jewel. I was thinking about seeing if she'll let you on her."

"Really?"

"Not now. We'll wait until you're fully healed. I wanted you to have something to look forward to."

When Alexandra said, "Darn!" everybody laughed.

Jim chewed and then said, "I've introduced Hershey and Bendecido to the corral."

Alexandra faced Cordero. "Aren't they awfully young?"

"Not really. The earlier the better."

"But they're babies."

After taking a drink, Cordero said, "That's an example of that big heart we were discussing earlier." He grinned at her frown.

Jorge shook his head. "Sorry to interrupt that perfect frown, but I just remembered, Sean told me this afternoon that Griffin's trial is one o'clock Wednesday."

Alexandra gulped. "I hope Judge Pickett's as hard as everybody says he is."

*****
Jim, Jorge, and Cordero helped Rosa with the dishes. When Cordero came back to the dining room, he lifted Alexandra. "What would you like to do?"

"Is it possible to star watch?"

"It is." He started toward the screened in porch.

"I meant on the bench."

*****
After he set her down, he asked, "Is this what you envisioned?"

She patted the spot beside her. "It is."

"This is our talking bench. Is there something we need to discuss or are we just watching the stars?"

Studying the sky, Alexandra released a deep breath. "Star watching."

"You seem happy. You must've had a good day."

"I did. It started rocky but ended great."

"Care to share?"

"I had this wonderful cowboy check on me often."

His eyes widened. "Anybody I know?"

Cuddling close to him, she leaned her head against his arm. "This is the reason I wanted to come here. It has a bench, and I get to sit beside that certain cowboy."

After kissing her, he said, "I see you had a motive." He waited a moment, before asking, "Any other reason for your good day?"

Silence followed for a few moments. "I went to all girl private boarding schools. Most girls remained there the entire week or months at a time. Mom and Dad wanted me to come home every afternoon and sent a driver for me."

"Anthony?"

"Not until high school." She exhaled. "Because I went home every day, I was an outcast and didn't have friends, only acquaintances. While at Columbia University, I still lived at home and was concerned with grades so I could get into Yale. At Yale, I just wanted to do really well. I've never really had girlfriends."

She leaned her head against his arm. "I actually had fun doing nothing but girl talking. I was accepted by other women for the first time in my life. It felt good."

"What did you ladies talk about?"

"I'm pretty sure it's against guidelines to share our discussions with a man."

"When I came in, I entered a meeting where secrets were being discussed."

"True." She encircled his arm and hugged. "I was accepted. It felt good."

"I'm glad. This is why I like small close-knit towns."

"I understand."

A brief silence followed before Alexandra asked, "Are we a couple? Are we dating?"

Chuckling Cordero asked, "What did the ladies say?"

Hitting his arm, she said, "What makes you think we discussed that or that your name came up?"

His eyes met hers. "Look me in the eye and tell me my name never came up." When she glanced away, he continued, "Thought so. So did they think we're a couple?"

"I'm not interested in what they said. I'd like to know what you think."

His kiss lingered, a second, and a third followed. "That should answer your question."

She released a deep breath. "It does."

"To answer your next question, yes, in my opinion we're exclusive."

"We didn't get that far."

Shaking his head and chuckling, he said, "The next time you five talk, you can let them know, we're exclusive, if it's all right with you."

She gulped. "It is."

"It's amazing how a big city lawyer can be so innocent." When she started to answer, he interrupted, "Never mind. I know. Your parents and grandparents protected you."

She nodded. "They did."

Before turning in for the night Cordero and Alexandra shared ice cream and then he helped her to her room.


~~~~~
I intentionally left off the accents on fiance and fiancee. I also intentionally left off the trema or dieresis on naive. I didn't want Evil Eddie adding all sorts of strange characters in my post. Thank you for understanding.
~~~~~~

~~~~
Hola is Spanish for hello.

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge uses them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.

Querido is Spanish for dear or sweetheart.

De nada is Spanish for no problem or you're welcome.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents' Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen and best friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Lester Brown: Pat Rogers lawyer

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

George Black Alexandra's grandpa

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy

Amy Harding: A lady who Pat Rogers raped during High School Prom, her son, Matthew

Alan Griffin Alexandra's ex-fiance

Joseph and Ruth Aaronson One of the first clients, family friends, owner of a prestige jewelry shop



Recognized

#21
January
2023


I've finished writing this novel, so I going to post every six days. I'm hoping I can keep it up. I have my next novel completed also and am anxious to see how it's received. It's slightly different in that it's more faith based.

Thank you google images for an image of a couple stargazing. This post is a little under 1200 words. Thank you for your kind reviews and the support you've given me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.