Romance Fiction posted December 31, 2022 Chapters:  ...50 51 -52- 53... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ali finds acceptance.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 25 B

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 43 days ago.

PREVIOUS POST:

After a few moments, he sat on the edge of the bed. "You almost finished?" After she nodded, he said, "I thought you might need me tonight."

"I heard you tell your dad."

"Any thoughts?"

Again, tears dripped from her eyes. "You don't hate me?"

"My feelings for you are the complete opposite."

"But..."

"But nothing," he interrupted. He took the empty cup, adjusted her pillow, and turned the light low. "Goodnight." After she was asleep, he went to the other side of the bed and lay down.

A few moments later there was a knock on the door. "Mi hijo?"

"Dad?"

Jorge walked in. "Here's a blanket."

"What?"

"I knew you wouldn't be under the covers, so thought you'd get cold." When Cordero's eyes widened, Jorge continued, "I know how much you care and respect her."

"Thanks."

"De nada." Jorge shut the door.

*****
A few hours later, Alexandra called out, "Cord?"

He kissed her forehead. "I'm right here."

She laid her head on his chest and went back to sleep.

Again, he kissed her as his arm went around her. I could get used to this. He exhaled. No. I can't. She'll go back to New York.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 25 B

Saturday morning light showed through the windows. Cordero glanced at Alexandra with her head still on his chest. She needs sleep, but I need to get going. He crept from the bed and searched the room for some paper.

After writing a brief message, he went to shower and change. On the way to breakfast, he stood in Alexandra's doorway and overheard crying as she spoke with her mom. He started to enter but stopped. This isn't good. He exhaled and left.

In the kitchen Cordero said, "Mom, Ali's talking with Tonia. There's a lot of guilty crying. I don't think she needs me. I think she needs another woman."

Rosa set her hot pad on the counter. "I'm on my way. Can you finish breakfast?"

"Sure. Good luck."

*****
When Rosa returned, she fixed a plate and handed it to Cordero. "Take Ali her breakfast."

"Do you think she's ready?"

"Tonia and I did the best we could. It's your turn." When his eyebrows crunched together, she added, "Just speak from the heart."

Cordero hesitated at the door before he knocked. "Ali, I have breakfast." She acknowledged him, and he took deep breaths before he entered. "Here."

"Where's yours?"

"I ate while Mom was in here. How you doing?"

"Lousy."

"Want to discuss it?" After she shook her head, he asked, "Why not?"

"It'll hurt too much knowing you hate me or at a minimum how angry you are."

"Why would I hate or be angry with you?"

Alexandra avoided eye contact. "I understand how much you love the ranch and the animals. Because of me your barn was set on fire and the horses put at risk. It could've easily spread, and lives would've been at stake. I'm a horrible person."

Cordero sat on the edge of the bed and kissed her forehead. "I've gotten to know this very intelligent and tenacious lady." He grinned at her frown. "I see you need convincing. You have this huge heart. The empathy you showed Amy was amazing."

"Or how much of a big baby I am, and you were gracious enough to put up with me."

"There were tears because you hated seeing Amy's dreams disappear because of Rogers. After you finished empathizing, you found a way to help her and followed through." When she started to speak, he held up his hand. "I know the child support isn't finalized, but I'm sure it will be. I witnessed you fight for the other ladies' rights. I, also, know you're not going to stop until Lisa's taken care of."

"Because of my poor judgement of character, I put you and your parents at risk."

"Only because you have a huge heart and believe there's good in everybody. I admire that. My life's better because you're in it." He leaned over and kissed her forehead, again.

"Cord?" After he nodded, she said, "I could use a real kiss."

He leaned down, held her, and the kiss lingered on her lips. A second one followed.

Her eyes met his. "Thank you."

"I hope it didn't hurt. I've been afraid..."

"The only way your kisses could hurt, is if they stop," she interrupted.

"That they'll never do."

Alexandra glanced toward the window. "I hear voices. You're needed, aren't you?"

"I am. I'll be in off-and-on to check on you. Please stay in bed. Dr. Barnes was serious."

"I'm not going anywhere." She glanced at the dresser. "Can you hand me my laptop? I have work I can do."

He handed it to her. "Don't forget breakfast."

*****
As Cordero walked out the front door, Lisa walked up with her arms full. He held out his hands. "Let me help. I'm guessing all this is for lunch."

"You're right. In this mess, there's a hairbrush. Your mom called. I guess Alexandra used hers on horses."

Grinning he said, "That she did."

After they carried everything into the kitchen, Cordero went outside.

By the barn, Cordero saw Mark Castle and offered his hand. "Thanks for coming."

"Not a problem. I'm glad I can help."

Cordero exhaled. "I'm wondering how's your engagement ring selection?"

"Funny you should ask. Last week I got a call from a fancy New York City jeweler, Joseph Aaronson. He wanted my shop to showcase some of his jewelry. I'm surprised he knew I existed."

Chuckling Cordero said, "He's a friend of Ali's." After shaking his head, he added, "I have a feeling her dad had something to do with this. I'll stop by Monday. I'm thinking about proposing."

"Congratulations. I've heard the rumor you're close to settling down." Mark glanced around. "I guess we'd better get started."

*****
A few hours later as Cordero opened the front door, Samson pushed his way past him and headed straight for Alexandra's room. Cord followed and as he heard a splash and scream, he yelled, "Samson, no!"

He stepped into the hallway. "Mom! I think Samson jumped into the bathtub with Ali!"

Rosa hurried to the room, still wiping her hands on the dishtowel. "Cord, I hope she's not hurt. He weighs a ton."

Moments later, Rosa chased the Newfoundland from the room. Cordero escorted him, bubbles and all, outside.

Dr. Barnes walked up chuckling. "Do I even want to know how Alexandra was involved?"

Adjusting his cowboy hat, Cordero said, "You're going to find it hard to believe, but Ali was innocent this time."

"Isn't she usually?"

"Most of the time." Cordero released a deep breath. "Last night was her fault, but I understand why she was out there."

"So do I, but she still needs to be careful. If she breaks that fractured rib..."

"I know." Cordero rubbed his right side. "Been there, done that."

The doctor chuckled. "It didn't stop you from riding those wild horses, did it?"

"Nope. I eventually outgrew it."

Dr. Barnes turned. "I guess I'll go back to work and check on Ali later."

"I need to get back to work too, but I want to make sure Samson didn't hurt her."

"Call me if I'm needed." Bart turned around. "When you two getting married?"

Cordero chuckled. "That's a good question." He went inside and waited outside her door, until his mom opened it. "Is Ali ready to receive guests?"

Rosa nodded. "She is. Cord..."

"I know Mom. Samson could've hurt her plus he made a huge mess," interrupted Cordero. "You know he loves water and Ali."

"Ali tried to convince me he really didn't mean it."

"I'm sure he didn't."

Cordero kissed his mom's cheek, as she said, "You're just as bad as he is."

Cordero called from the door, "Ali, is it all right if I come in?" After she indicated it was, he walked up and kissed her. "Sorry about Samson."

"Don't worry about it. My first day here, I was warned about his love of water."

"Is that why you haven't gone swimming?"

"Partly, but the main reason is, I don't know how."

"Maybe I'll teach you."

"I'm still learning to ride."

"True." He glanced toward the window. "I need to get back. I just wanted to check with you. Did Samson do any damage?"

"No, surprisingly, only a few scratches from his nails on my legs."

"Good." He leaned over and pecked her cheek. "I'll be back around noon."

*****
Early afternoon, Lisa, Caridad, Rebecca, and Nancy came into Alexandra's room carrying their lunches. Lisa also brought Alexandra's and asked, "Would you like some company?"

"Of course. I'm glad you came in. Please find a seat. I don't mind if you sit on the bed."

Nancy sat. "I know we're a little late with lunch, but we needed to make sure the workers ate."

"Not a problem. I understand. This looks really good."

Caridad took a bite. "We weren't sure you liked pulled pork."

Alexandra studied it. "I don't think I've had it." After a bite, she said, "It's good."

Rebecca tilted her head. "Two things, I think we've said it before, but I'm Becca, Caridad, is Cari." She laughed. "Lisa and Nancy are just Lisa and Nancy."

"And I'm Ali."

The four women said in unison, "Good."

"You look like you're in pain. Are you all right?" asked Lisa.

"I am. I look worse than I feel." Alexandra showed her ankle. "My biggest problem is this." She pointed to the removable boot. "I'm supposed to wear that and not put weight on it." She smiled. "Cord's been a big help."

Eating some potato salad, Caridad said, "Mr. Dreamy was always one of the good guys in high school."

Rebecca giggled. "I secretly wished he'd ask me out, but he didn't date much. He was always busy with football, the rodeo, church, or helping around the ranch."

"Me too. Very few girls got the pleasure of a date." Nancy hesitated. "I wonder why. Has he ever mentioned it?"

Alexandra shook her head. "It's never come up."

Lisa's eyes widened. "I'm happy you're dating. You two make a cute couple."

"We're not really dating. We've only had one date, and it had a few pitfalls, but ended on a happy note. We spent a day together in New York and had a good time. Otherwise, we just go for walks, star gaze, and ride horses. Never really a date."

"I'd say spending any time with him would be special." Caridad fanned herself. "El es muy atractivo. He's hot. I think he's gotten better since high school."

Nancy, Lisa, and Rebecca laughed as Alexandra's cheeks-tinged pink.

Lisa's eyes met Alexandra's. "Don't dare say you don't find him hot. I've seen the way you look at him, and he looks at you."

Their heads turned toward the door when they heard footsteps in the hall. Rebecca said, "I have a feeling Mr. Dreamy's coming to check on you."

Shaking his head, Cordero entered. "It sounds as if you're all up to no good." He walked over and pecked Alexandra's cheek. "It looks like you're being well taken care of. Do you need anything?" When she shook her head, he continued, "Then I'll get back to work. I'll drop by later." Again, he pecked her cheek and winked. "Bye."

They waited until he left before, Caridad teased, "Don't ever say again you're not dating. You're in a relationship with Mr. Dreamy, and every woman in Lobo's jealous."

Lisa added, "Not only Lobo, but the entire West Texas area."

Standing Nancy said, "I hate to end this, but we really need to get back and help with clean up." She came over and hugged Alexandra. "I'm glad we came. We need to do this more often."

"I agree. I had fun. Please come by again."

The other three women hugged Alexandra and agreed they needed to spend more time together.

Alexandra opened her laptop but stared at it. It was fun talking with other women. She studied the sunlight through the window. I wonder if Cord thinks we're in a relationship.



~~~~~
I intentionally left off the accents on fiance and fiancee. I also intentionally left off the trema or dieresis on naive. I didn't want Evil Eddie adding all sorts of strange characters in my post. Thank you for understanding.
~~~~~~

~~~~
Hola is Spanish for hello.

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge uses them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.

Querido is Spanish for dear or sweetheart.

De nada is Spanish for no problem or you're welcome.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents' Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen and best friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Lester Brown: Pat Rogers lawyer

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

George Black Alexandra's grandpa

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy

Amy Harding: A lady who Pat Rogers raped during High School Prom, her son, Matthew

Alan Griffin Alexandra's ex-fiance

Joseph and Ruth Aaronson One of the first clients, family friends, owner of a prestige jewelry shop



Recognized


I hope you have a great New Year!!!! I'm sending love, prayers, New Year blessing to you!!!!! It's my prayer that 2023 is a great year for everybody.

This novel is completed so I am going to try to post every six days. I'm hoping I can keep it up. I have the next novel completed too and am anxious to see how it's received. It's slightly different in that it's more faith based.

Thank you google images for an image of a loving that smile. This post is a little over 1800 words. Thank you for your kind reviews and the support you've given me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.