General Fiction posted December 27, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
You need to say something ....

Not appropriate!

by Wendy G


Jack, can we talk? There’s something on my mind ….
 
Of course! What’s bothering you?
 
I don’t quite know how to begin ….
 
You know you can tell me anything!
 
Well, we’ve been at this church for nearly a year now, and ….
 
You’re not happy here?
 
Yes, of course, you are doing a great job as Assistant Pastor, but ….
 
Then what’s the problem? Don’t you feel settled?
 
It’s not that. It concerns a young couple at the church, you know the ones with the small baby?

Yes, of course. They are a lovely couple! Don’t you get on well with them?
 
Well, I am a bit troubled by the behaviour of Isabella ….
 
Isabella? What … why?
 
I have been a bit concerned for a while, but now with the baby here ….
 
Suzy, you aren’t making any sense ….
 
It’s just that after church every Sunday, she rarely stands with Mitch ….
 
But that’s okay, he’s just catching up with his friends!
 
Yes, Jack, but haven’t you noticed? It’s that tall young man with the reddish-blond hair, called Tim. He’s always with Isabella after church, and they are always chatting and laughing together. 
 
And? 
 
Well, I can’t help but wonder if they are having an affair! He often puts his arm around her, gives her a hug … and now the baby!
 
What about the baby?
 
Jack, look at the baby's hair! Reddish, just like Tim! And blue eyes, like him as well! And both Isabella and Mitch have dark hair and dark eyes…. 
 
Are you wondering ….?
 
Yes, Jack! The baby is looking more like Tim as it grows older. The same hair and eyes! And sometimes he holds the baby for her, and you can see that he just loves that baby! Jack, you need to talk to that young man!
 
I can’t believe ….
 
Jack, why doesn’t Mitch say something? He just looks away and continues with his conversation … do you think he’s given up? Or could it be one of those “open relationships”?
 
Suzy … you should have spoken about this months ago. I had no idea you had this concern!
 
It’s not a good look for the church, Jack. So open and … brazen! They don’t seem to worry what people might think! I think you need to say something!
 
Suzy, I wish you’d told me long before this. We need to clarify ….
 
I just wanted to make sure. It’s awkward. I know Mitch is quite a few years older than Isabella, but still … how can she do that to him? And in front of everybody? It’s like Tim and Isabella use the church as a meeting place ….
 
Suzy … Mitch and Isabella are solid in their marriage.
 
How can you be sure? When she acts so happy to see Tim? And she obviously enjoys it when his arm is around her shoulders! 
 
Suzy … I know they don’t look anything alike … but Tim and Isabella are brother and sister! 
 
 



Dialogue Only Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized

#50
December
2022


This fictional story is based on the experience of my son and daughter, who do not look at all alike. The baby did indeed look more like his uncle than either of his parents - and still does.
They are all great friends now and laugh about it.

Note: Suzy was concerned for the church, and it was her husbandâ??s role to help maintain its integrity. Thatâ??s why she wanted him to speak privately to Tim.
She was not gossiping - but she did make a wrong assumption. Everyone else in the church knew they were siblings, and could have set her straight, so it would not have developed into gossip. It is very easy to make wrong assumptions - we are all prone to it, and therein lies the message. (And of course, wrong assumptions can easily lead to gossip.)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.