Romance Fiction posted December 26, 2022 Chapters:  ...49 50 -51- 52... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Fire!!!

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 25 A

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 43 days ago.

PREVIOUS POST:

In the middle of the night, Alexandra hobbled to and knocked on Cordero's door. "Cord! Cord!"

He opened it. "What's wrong?"

"I've got a feeling something bad's going to happen. Really bad."

"Maybe it's already happened. I think you being beaten is really bad." He lifted her. "Let's get you back to bed."

"It's not that. It's something else."

He set her on her bed and then checked out the windows. "I don't see anything. Try to get some sleep." He leaned over and kissed her. "I'll stay a while and make sure you're safe."

She took his hand. "Thank you."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 25 A

Cordero had fallen into a restless sleep sitting beside Alexandra. Klaus and Otto barking woke him up. He glanced out the window and saw flames dancing from the barn. "Fire!"

Rushing from Alexandra's bedroom, he yelled. "Fire! Fire! Fire!"

Jorge came from his room. "Cord?"

Stopping by the door, Cordero slipped on some old boots. "The barn's on fire!"

Both Jorge and Rosa followed Cordero outside.

Jim led one horse at a time to safety. Cordero and Jorge grabbed water hoses and attempted to fight the blaze.

Rosa called the volunteer fire department before she helped the men.

*****
The commotion woke Alexandra. Through the window she saw the menacing blazes and jumped out of bed. She hobbled outside and noticed Jim led a blindfolded horse from the barn. Cord said brushing helps calm them. I need a brush. She limped inside and grabbed her brush. It'll have to do.

The horses had gathered at the far back corner of the corral. Alexandra went to them and did a head count. The youngest foal was missing. He's only a week old. She shuffled inside the barn's back door, fought the smoke, and found the foal. Violently coughing she attempted to carry it. He's too heavy.

A fireman came up to her. "Lady, you need to get out."

"I'm not leaving the baby." The cough continued.

He picked-up the foal. "Get!"

Alexandra followed him to the other horses and coughed.

After the firefighter left, she brushed the horses. The others battled the fire.

*****
Hours later everyone stood around and watched the smoldering wood.

A firefighter, LeRoy walked up to Cordero and Jorge. "Do either of you know a young lady? I chased one from the back of the barn trying to carry a foal." After he thought for a moment, he added, "She had a nasty limp."

Cordero yelled, "Ali! Do you know where she went?"

LeRoy pointed toward the horses. "I carried the foal over there. She followed."

Cordero ran toward her.

Another fireman, Henry said, "Cord, there's a lady on the ground. I tried to help but two horses tried to attack me. I had to back off and came looking for you."

After acknowledging what Henry had said, Cordero walked. Jewel and Chip are upset. He took a deep breath. I need to remain calm.

He got closer and spoke softly, "Chip. How you doing, buddy?" He petted the horse's neck. "Good boy."

Chip neighed.

"Where's Ali?"

Jewel, with ears laid back, glared at Cordero.

He held out his hand and whispered, "Jewel, it's me. I'm looking for Ali."

"Cord?"

"Ali, where are you?"

"Behind the horses. Hershey's frightened."

Walking between the horses, he asked, "Who's Hershey?"

As Cordero knelt beside her, she said, "This foal. He didn't have a name."

Gulping he asked, "What are you doing?"

She held up the brush. "Trying to help by taking care of the horses."

He glanced at her ankle and pointed. "The swelling's worse and so is the bruising. You're not wearing the boot."

As he helped her up, she said, "But..."

"But nothing," interrupted Cordero. He faced the barn and yelled, "Jim, over here."

Cordero lifted Alexandra as he waited for Jim. "I need to take her inside. Can you check the horses?"

"Sure, Boss." Jim studied Alexandra.

As he left, Cordero said, "I'll tell Dad where I'm going." He shook his head. "You didn't listen to one word the doc said. You didn't even make it one day."

Alexandra rose a little and kissed him.

Cordero chuckled. "As nice as that was, it's not going to get you out of trouble."

Inside the house, he took her to the bathroom in her room. "Clean up. I'll
hand you clean clothes and then be right back." After he handed them to her, he said, "Don't do any more walking. I'll get some ice and tea."

"Yes, Sir."

He grinned. "Obedient you're not." As he left, he said over his shoulder. "I don't expect you to be."

"Good."

*****
Cordero cleaned up, before he made the tea and got two bags of ice. On his way to Alexandra's room, he stopped by the den where numerous men watched security tapes. Jorge nodded at his son. "Griffin set the fire."

Sam glanced at his watch. "I've called ahead. Kent's arresting him as we speak. This time he won't be eligible for bail."

Bart eyed the contents in Cordero's hands. "Our patient didn't listen, did she?"

"Afraid not. Her ankle's in bad shape."

"Let me talk with her."

Cordero glanced toward the hallway. "Give me about five minutes to make sure she's decent."

As he entered the room, he set the ice and tea on a nightstand. "Ali, are you ready for your ride to bed?"

"I've got a problem."

"What?"

She opened the door and pointed at her thigh-length night shirt. "This. If you carry me, it'll creep up and I don't have anything under it. You'll be touching more than..."

"I get the picture," interrupted Cordero. "Any suggestions?"

"In the bottom drawer are shorts."

He walked over and removed a pair. "Here."

She shut the door. After a few groans and ouches, she opened the door. "I'm ready."

"You all right? It sounded dangerous in there."

"It's difficult putting on clothes when you can't put weight on your foot. It's sore enough to remind me not to stand on it."

"I would've helped." After she glared, he added, "Bad idea."

As he set her on the bed and covered her, there was a knock on the door.

Alexandra studied Cordero's eyes. "Who's that?"

"I'm guessing Dr. Barnes."

"You called him?"

"Alexandra, I'm coming in," said Bart as he entered followed by Jorge and Sam. "No, Cord didn't call me. I was helping fight the fire and heard a rumor you didn't follow any of the instructions I gave you this morning, to include not wearing the walking boot." He glanced at his watch. "Well, yesterday." He studied her ankle. "I had to see for myself. The rumor's true. Your ankle's worse. I need to check your bottom rib too." He slightly raised the night shirt. "I'd need an x-ray for sure, but it doesn't appear any worse."

When she started to speak, the doctor held up his hand. "I don't want any excuses. I'll be here tomorrow helping with clean up and rebuilding. I'll check on you often. I'd better see you in this bed each time I come in. If not, I'll put your butt in the hospital. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Sir." As he turned to leave, Alexandra asked, "Sheriff Baily, do they know how the fire started?"

Sam nodded. "It's arson." He glanced away for a moment and then his eyes met hers. "Griffin. My deputy arrested him. He'll remain in jail this time."

Tears streamed down her cheeks. "I'm sorry I brought all this on your family." Alexandra started to get out of bed. "I need to leave."

Bart walked over. "I guess you'd prefer the hospital." He removed his phone. "I'll arrange it right now."

Her tears continued down her cheeks. "No. I can't stay here. Look at the problems I've caused."

Jorge walked over and held her. "Querida, you did nothing wrong. It was Griffin."

"I brought him here."

"It's not your fault. You're staying here."

Holding up his phone, Bart said, "Do I need to make that call?"

Tears streamed heavier down her cheeks. "No. I'll stay."

"Good. I need to get home." He nodded toward Cordero, as he turned to leave.

As they left, Sam said, "You were pretty hard on her."

Bart nodded. "Have you forgotten I raised five stubborn daughters?"

"No. I married one of them."

Jorge shook his head. "I'm glad I had a son." He glanced back at his son. "I'll shut the door."

Cordero walked to him. "Dad, I'm staying with Ali tonight."

"You're an adult. I trust your judgement."

"Thank you." Cordero sat on the bed beside Alexandra. "How you doing?"

"Horrible."

He handed her the cup. "I made some wild lettuce tea." As she took a sip, he made sure the ice packs surrounded her ankle.

Silence filled the room as she sipped tea. Cordero removed his boots and went to the window and stared out.

After a few moments, he sat on the edge of the bed. "You almost finished?" After she nodded, he said, "I thought you might need me tonight."

"I heard you tell your dad."

"Any thoughts?"

Again, tears dripped from her eyes. "You don't hate me?"

"My feelings for you are the complete opposite."

"But..."

"But nothing," he interrupted. He took the empty cup, adjusted her pillow, and turned the light low. "Goodnight." After she was asleep, he went to the other side of the bed and lay down.

A few moments later there was a knock on the door. "Mi hijo?"

"Dad?"

Jorge walked in. "Here's a blanket."

"What?"

"I knew you wouldn't be under the covers, so thought you'd get cold." When Cordero's eyes widened, Jorge continued, "I know how much you care and respect her."

"Thanks."

"De nada." Jorge shut the door.

*****
A few hours later, Alexandra called out, "Cord?"

He kissed her forehead. "I'm right here."

She laid her head on his chest and went back to sleep.

Again, he kissed her as his arm went around her. I could get used to this. He exhaled. No. I can't. She'll go back to New York.


~~~~~
I intentionally left off the accents on fiance and fiancee. I also intentionally left off the trema or dieresis on naive. I didn't want Evil Eddie adding all sorts of strange characters in my post. Thank you for understanding.
~~~~~~

~~~~
Hola is Spanish for hello.

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge uses them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.

Querido is Spanish for dear or sweetheart.

De nada is Spanish for no problem or you're welcome.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents' Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen and best friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Lester Brown: Pat Rogers lawyer

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

George Black Alexandra's grandpa

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy

Amy Harding: A lady who Pat Rogers raped during High School Prom, her son, Matthew

Alan Griffin Alexandra's ex-fiance

Joseph and Ruth Aaronson One of the first clients, family friends, owner of a prestige jewelry shop



Recognized

#10
December
2022


I hope you had a wonderful Christmas filled with family, friends, and Christmas wishes.

Since next Sunday is New Year's Day, I'll probably post Monday morning, but might Sunday. If everything goes as planned, the final post of this novel will be February 19th.

Thank you google images for an image of a horse being led from a burning barn. This post is a little over 1500 words. One of my special reviewers pointed out the doctor would've prescribed a removeable boot for Alexandra's ankle and this reviewer was correct. I went back and added it to that post. Mention of it is in this post as well. Thank you for your kind reviews and the support you've given me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.