General Poetry posted December 11, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Note s below

Fire

by tempeste

million years ago 

two flint stones produced a spark 

Man conquered the dark 




5-7-5 fire writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a 5-7-5 poem on the subject of FIRE. Any style can be used and creative approaches are welcomed. But follow the 5-7-5 syllable count.



Fire was likely harnessed around one million years ago, our Homo erectus ancestors using crude stone tools, but not much more than that. The combination of tools and fire, though, allowed Homo erectus to adapt to environments beyond where they first appeared, hunting more effectively and processing foods by chopping and cooking, unlocking a great many other potential food species. This allowed their brains to get larger at the cost of less robust jaws. They expanded out of Africa, developing into more sophisticated species.


The major changes were:

Protection from Beasts. Animals avoid fire, and the presence of one provided a new level of safety to the early people during the dark nights.

Cooking: Cooking food releases nutrients in some foods, and makes others digestible at all.

Warmth: With fire people could live comfortably in colder climates than previously.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. tempeste All rights reserved.
tempeste has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.