Romance Fiction posted December 11, 2022 Chapters:  ...47 48 -49- 50... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cordero describes the cowboy code.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 24 A

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 42 days ago.

PREVIOUS POST:

Bob entered. "I wanted to make sure you guys are okay before I shut everything down." He studied Alexandra. "He did a number on her. I'm surprised she's sleeping so soundly. She's got to be in pain."

"She is. I used some of Mom's wild lettuce tea. Could you get a pillow from the bedroom? I'm stuck and don't want to disturb her."

"Sure, Boss." When Bob returned, he asked, "What you want me to do with it?"

"When I get up, help me slip it under Ali's head."

After Cordero was up and Alexandra was stretched out on the couch, he covered her.

Bob watched him get a sleeping bag from the closet. "Why aren't you using your perfectly good bed?"

"It's cold in there, and the fireplace is keeping this room warm." Cordero studied Alexandra. "I know I could use blankets, but I don't want to move her more than necessary. There could be internal injuries. I need to be by her in case she needs me."

"I don't know her as well as Jim does, but he says she's just as sweet as she is beautiful."

"That she is. That's how she got messed up with this asshole."

Bob turned toward the door. "If you need anything, I'll be in the bunkhouse." He faced Cordero. "I figure we'll put Chip in a trailer, and I'll take you back to the main house in the morning, right?"

"Sounds like you have everything worked out. Klaus and Otto can ride in the pickup bed. 'Night. I'll see you then."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 24 A

Early Friday morning sun lit the sky, as Alexandra called, "Cord?"

He touched her arm. "I'm here. How you feeling?"

"About the same."

Picking up his stethoscope, he said, "I want to check your breathing and the kidney bruise."

"Can it wait until I see the doctor?"

"I prefer not to." When her eyes widened, he added, "It'll determine how fast we get to the doc. How'd you sleep last night?"

"Okay. I only woke up once." Her eyes met his. "You were here. Did you get any sleep?"

"Some. I needed to make sure you were all right."

"Thank you."

Cordero pecked her cheek. "I can't wait until your lip heals so I can properly kiss you." He continued checking the kidney area and listening to her lungs. When he finished, he carried her to the bathroom. "We still don't have electricity. After washing up, I'm sure you'll feel better. When you're finished, holler."

*****
Cordero went into the living room and picked up the blankets and pillows. After knocking on the door and hearing a 'come in', Bob walked in. "'Morning, Boss. How's our patient?"

"About the same." He eyed what Bob held. "What's that?"

"I fixed breakfast. I figured you didn't have any decent food. It's not as good as your mom's but it's edible." He uncovered fried eggs, sausage, and toast. "I figured you had coffee."

"As long as there's a fire in the fireplace, I do. Thank you, you didn't need to do this."

"Just trying to help." His head turned when he heard Alexandra call out.

Cordero headed toward the bathroom. "I'll be right back."

Carrying Alexandra into the living room Cordero set her on the couch and moved the chair and pillow so she could elevate her ankle. "Bob made breakfast."

Alexandra smiled. "Thank you." She tilted her head. "How'd you do it without electricity?"

"On the fireplace. It's almost like a cattle drive."

"You cowboys amaze me. You have many talents."

Pink touched Bob's ears. "Thank you, Ma'am."

After eating and cleaning up, they were ready to leave. Cordero carried Alexandra to Bob's pickup and placed a pillow behind her, as she sat sideways, and he put a smaller pillow on the seat, so her ankle was elevated. Klaus and Otto rode in the pickup's bed. Chip rode in a trailer.

The lane to the main road was long and bumpy. Bob glanced at Alexandra through the rearview mirror. "Sorry about the jostling. I know it can't be comfortable. Last night's rain washed out the lane."

"It's fine."

Cordero exhaled. "As soon as it dries enough, see to it these holes are fixed."

"Sure will, Boss." Bob chuckled. "I think that might be an area Gary can excel at."

"He's still screwing up?"

"Let's just say he doesn't fully understand the cowboy code, but he's learning."

"Are there certain rules for being a cowboy?" asked Alexandra.

Cordero faced Bob. "I guess we'd better educate the lady." He held up his index finger. "First rule, have pride in your work and finish what you start." Second one went up. "Be tough, but fair." He hesitated.

"Are there more?" asked Alexandra.

"Oh yes." Cordero cocked his head. "Ali, you might like this one. Talk less and say more."

Bob said, "How about remove your gun before sitting at the dining table?"

Cordero grinned. "Mom's a stickler for that one, along with not wearing your cowboy hat inside."

"She sure is," said Bob.

Turning toward Alexandra, Cordero said, "Another one Mom strictly enforces is cuss all you want but only around men, horses, and cows."

Bob chuckled. "I remember one time Jim forgot that. I thought she was going to take a switch to him."

Cordero agreed, "If Dad wouldn't have stepped in, she might've." He paused. "An important one is to know where to draw the line." Grinning he added, "Basically follow the Golden Rule and the Ten Commandments."

Alexandra's eyes twinkled. "So being a cowboy's serious business."

Again, Bob looked at her through the rearview mirror. "It is and in today's society we're a dying breed."

"I hope not. I'm impressed with these cowboy types."

Cordero turned and winked at her. "You don't say?"

Her cheeks went from pink to bright red."

Both men chuckled.

Once arriving at the main road, it only took minutes until they followed the lane to the house. After Bob parked, Cordero helped Alexandra and carried her inside. He set her on the couch. Bob and Jim took care of Chip.

Rosa immediately hugged her. "Sweetheart, why didn't you come inside? I would've taken you to the doctor." Tears filled her eyes. "I thought you were comfortable here."

Moisture welled in Alexandra's eyes. "I am. I love it here. You and Jorge are like family." She took a deep breath. "Mom and Dad weren't aware of the abuse either. I kept it hidden. I was too ashamed to say anything. Tonight I need to make a call."

Jorge walked over and kissed her cheek. "You scared us."

She swallowed. "I'm sorry."

Nodding toward his parents, Cordero said, "I'll help Ali to her room. Once she cleans up and changes, we need to leave."

*****
After Alexandra showered and changed, she called for Cordero.

As he carried her outside, Jorge, Jim, and Bob walked to him. Jorge said, "We're escorting you."

Shaking his head, Cordero said, "Dad, I can take her to the doctor and talk with Sam by myself."

Jim placed his hand on his holster. "Boss, we know you can, but we want to make sure nothing happens."

"You guys look like we're headed to the Okay Corral."


~~~~~
I intentionally left off the accents on fiance and fiancee. I also intentionally left off the trema or dieresis on naive. I didn't want Evil Eddie adding all sorts of strange characters in my post. Thank you for understanding.
~~~~~~

~~~~
Hola is Spanish for hello

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge uses them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents' Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen and best friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Lester Brown: Pat Rogers lawyer

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

George Black Alexandra's grandpa

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy

Amy Harding: A lady who Pat Rogers raped during High School Prom, her son, Matthew

Alan Griffin Alexandra's ex-fiance

Joseph and Ruth Aaronson One of the first clients, family friends, owner of a prestige jewelry shop



Recognized

#9
December
2022


AS WE GET CLOSER TO CHRISTMAS, PLEASE CONTINUE TO BE SAFE!!!!

My father-in-law, John passed away early Tuesday morning. Our youngest son, Steven is arriving here today, and we'll leave tomorrow for St. Louis, MO. Andrew, our third son, lives there with his family. We'll stay with them and go back and forth to Illinios. The funeral is Wednesday in Pittsfield, Il. We'll return home Saturday. We're old. It takes us two days to drive to St. Louis. Even though we'll have three capable drivers in the car, my husband won't allow anybody else to drive. LOL I probably won't get as much reviewing done. Sorry if I miss your post. If we get home, Saturday, I should be able to post on Sunday.

Thank you google images for an image of the numbers of domestic abuse in the US. It's not only women that are abused, men are abused also. This post is a little under 1000. Sorry for the length. Thank you for your kind reviews and the support you've given me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.