General Fiction posted December 7, 2022 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The aftermath of Fred's leaving

A chapter in the book Some Call It Luck

Some Call It Luck - Chapter 12

by Jim Wile



Background
A brilliant and beautiful but insecure, nerdy young woman befriends a going nowhere older alcoholic caddie. Together, they bring out the best in each other and collaborate on a startling new invention
 
Abby St. Claire

Two months later
November, 1980
 
 
Fred and I wrote each other letters, often two or three times a week at first, but as the weeks and then the months went by, they became less and less frequent, at least his letters did. I think he realized that we probably wouldn’t see each other again, and soon his letters stopped altogether.

In his last letter to me, he told me something I’ll never forget. He said,

“I’m doing well in school—not only in my classes—but in my interactions with the kids. I’ve made a few good friends, and no one teases me about my stutter. In fact, I hardly ever stutter anymore, and I have you to thank for it. It was your friendship and kindness that helped me overcome the anxiety I used to feel when speaking. You accepted me and liked me for who I was, not for how I talked. I will never forget that, Abby. And I will never forget you.”

I was so touched by that, and it made me feel wonderful that I had had such a profoundly positive effect on someone else’s life. But then he stopped writing. I continued to write him, but I never heard from him again. I felt abandoned and a little betrayed, like maybe he was one of the “cool kids” now and wouldn’t give me the time of day if he were to have met me now. I know that’s silly, but I couldn’t help feeling disappointed.

I also envied the fact that he was making friends because I wasn’t. I just never really connected with any other kids after Fred left. The girls, especially, tended to avoid me—which was better than teasing me—and the boys, it felt like, were a bit intimidated by me. They seemed to think I was some kind of brainiac—certainly a nerd.

I’d have to say that my best friend now, besides the humans in my family, is my cat Lester. He’s the only one I can talk to or confide in. True, he doesn’t talk back, but he loves it when I talk to him. He will lie on my bed and purr while I scratch his head and back and tell him about my day.

As far as skating went, I continued taking individual lessons, but my heart wasn’t in it the same way it was when Fred was part of my life. I never really looked for another ice dancing partner, and just as Fred had slipped out of my life, ice skating began to slip away as well.
 




Just as Abby begins building some confidence in herself, she loses her only friend. This is a real setback for her as she resumes her struggles to be accepted.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jim Wile All rights reserved.
Jim Wile has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.