General Fiction posted December 6, 2022 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A short narrative chapter to complete E.J.'s backstory

A chapter in the book Some Call It Luck

Some Call It Luck - Chapter 11

by Jim Wile



Background
A brilliant and beautiful but insecure, nerdy young woman befriends a going nowhere older alcoholic caddie. Together, they bring out the best in each other and collaborate on a startling new invention
 
E.J. Budrowski

Six months later
September, 1980
 
 
For many years now, I’ve felt a pang of anxiety as September rolled around. While driving to Brentwood Country Club to caddie this morning, I thought back to 14 years ago when I would have been starting my sophomore year of college around this time. It never came to pass.

My mother’s suicide the previous year on Christmas Eve had left my mind in turmoil. When I returned to school for the second semester, I was in no shape to drastically turn my study habits around and knuckle down. The second semester courses were as tough as those of the first semester, and I immediately started falling behind again. I couldn’t concentrate on my studies, and continued drinking to relieve the pressure I felt. I began spiraling out of control and partied hard to forget the predicament I was in. I managed a B in Calculus II, but the rest of my grades were Ds and Fs. By the end of the year, I had finished with a miserable 1.3 GPA, and the school told me not to come back in the fall.

When I returned home after the semester was over, my father kicked me out of the house. He gave me a week to find my own place to live and move out. He told me that if I wanted to ruin my life, I could do it on my own dime and refused to support me in any way.

I actually welcomed the split; I couldn’t stand to be around him anymore—he who never once acknowledged any responsibility for my mother’s leaving him or her death. Let him rot in that big old house by himself, for all I cared. I found a cheap apartment and moved out within the week.

I was my own man now, I thought at the time, to sink or swim on my own. Turned out it was mostly sink.
 




As Part 1 winds down, we now have E.J.'s backstory. Part 2 will center on E.J., and we'll see whether or not he can dig himself out of the hole he's put himself in as well as what part Abby plays in this.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jim Wile All rights reserved.
Jim Wile has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.