General Fiction posted December 3, 2022 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Detectives Knock on Cooper's door

A chapter in the book Death By Murder

Death By Murder - Chap 19

by Begin Again




Background
A jewel heist, Boston's rival gang war, and unsolved murders. Cold case specialists, Detectives Hank and Emmy, track the missing diamonds and become entwined in murders, untold stories, and much more.

ENDING CHAPTER 18

Across town, Cooper wrapped his arm around his trembling mother's shoulders while Andrew examined the mysterious brown-paper-wrapped box on the desk.  

"It's okay, Coop. I'm not certain, but I know Frank received similar boxes from time to time." 

"So, it's not a — a bomb?" Elizabeth shivered, refusing to tear her eyes off the box. "After dad's —" 

"Stop, Mom. We aren't part of that world. Why would anyone want to hurt us?" Cooper sounded far more confident than he felt. "Andrew, do you know what the other boxes contained or who they were from?" 

"Actually —"  

Before Andrew could finish his sentence, the doorbell rang. All three exchanged looks before Cooper broke the tension and spoke. "You two stay here, and I'll get the door." 

Cooper stared at the two people standing on his front stoop. Hank showed the doctor his badge as he spoke, "Detective Armato and Detective Lansbury, sir. We need to speak to Elizabeth O'Hara. Is she home?" 

***********************

BEGINNING - CHAPTER 19

Cooper scrutinized the badge and the two people facing him. Satisfied, he asked, "Is this about my grandfather? Because my mother has told the police everything we know about his murder. If you want information, visit Peter Costello. There has been a feud for years, but my mother and I have nothing to do with it."  

 

As Cooper started to close the door, Hank wedged the toe of his oxford shoe across the jam. "That's interesting information, but my partner and I are investigating a cold case concerning missing diamonds." 

 

"Diamonds?" Cooper's right eyebrow raised as his eyes darkened. "The wretched jewels that stole my grandmother's sanity and my family's desire to co-exist peacefully until my grandfather's murder?" Exhausted, Cooper struggled with the anger boiling beneath the surface. "Please remove yourself from the property. My mother and I have nothing to say to either of you." 

 

"Maybe not, but the Boston Police Department might decide to bring your mother downtown for questioning and —" 

 

"Downtown! She's not going anywhere. Do you understand me?" Cooper pushed against the door, but Hank's foot remained firm. He glared at the detective. 

 

"Simmer down, boys." Emmy smiled at both of them. "Let's not get off on the wrong side of the fence, okay? All Detective Armato is trying to say is that it's not just a case of missing diamonds anymore. We have information indicating the jewels have surfaced, and people are dying because of them. We only want to protect your family, your mother, from being one of them." 

 

Cooper's tone softened. "Thank you, but my mother has nothing to do with those diamonds." 

 

"She was there at the time of the heist." 

 

"And got shot at before my grandfather's men could get them to safety. Do you think he took time to steal diamonds amidst the gunfire? His concern was his family."  

 

The study door opened, and Andrew stood in the doorway. "Everything okay, Coop?" 

 

"Yes, Andrew. We are fine. These detectives wanted to talk to mother, but I don't think it's necessary for them to bother her." 

 

"Nonsense, Cooper." Elizabeth touched Andrew's arm, and he stepped aside so she could see the detectives and her son. "Invite them in, please. We know nothing about the missing jewels." 

 

Cooper's eyes shifted to Andrew and then to Elizabeth. A simple nod from his grandfather's right-hand man gave him all the information he needed. "Of course you are right. Please excuse my manners, Detectives. I performed surgery all night, and I am exhausted." Then, turning to Andrew, he spoke softly, "Would you mind clearing the study before I invite our guests in?" 

 

Andrew nodded. "The study is fine, Coop. You know your mother keeps a tidy house." 

 

Elizabeth touched her son's arm and smiled at Hank and Emmy. "Please come in. I'll brew some fresh coffee. You can make them comfortable, and I'll be right back." 

 

As Elizabeth hurried away, Cooper swung the door open. "Please come in. We can go into my grandfather's study." Andrew opened the door and stepped aside. 

 

Cooper's eyes darted toward the desk, but the package was gone. He felt the tension drain from his shoulders as he offered chairs to Hank and Emmy. 

 

Hank chose one of the wing-backed chairs and lowered his body into it. Emmy took a moment to admire the mahogany furniture and the furnishings, some antique and others more recent. A painting of an old cottage on the cliff overlooking the sea caught her eye.  

 

"Stunning. What a beautiful scene."  

 

"Thank you. Grandfather said his grandmother painted it. It was their home in Ireland, humble, but waking each morning to the view was spectacular. He brought it to America, a reminder of his roots." 

 

"It must have been a tough decision to leave Ireland." 

 

"Of course, I wasn't born, but the stories I've heard about failing crops, struggling families, and rising discontent among the people didn't leave many with any other choice but to flee with only a few possessions." 

 

"Difficult times, I am sure. But —" Emmy's eyes slowly browsed the room. "It appears your grandfather made the best of the situation." 

 

Cooper spun around to stare directly at Emmy. "If you are implying —" 

 

"Cooper, mind your manners." Elizabeth entered the study carrying a tray of coffee cups and pastries. Andrew rushed to her side and took the tray. "Thank you, Andrew." Then, taking a quick breath, she turned to the detectives. "Please excuse my son. He works extremely hard at the hospital and gets touchy about things, especially involving the family." 

 

Accepting his mother's gentle scolding, Cooper spoke. "Please accept my apologies. I meant nothing derogatory." Emmy and Elizabeth exchanged smiles, and then they chose chairs near the window. "What a beautiful garden. Do you tend to it all by yourself?" 

 

"Oh, no! Andrew and his men take care of it for me. I am very fortunate to have their help." 

 

"Our pleasure, ma'am." Andrew nodded at Elizabeth and spoke to Cooper. "I'll be in the clubhouse if you need me." Then, without further comment, he opened the side door and left the study. 

 

After settling down with coffee in hand, Elizabeth took the reins and opened the conversation. "I doubt I can be much help concerning the missing jewelry, detectives. I only remember my father pushing my mother and me to the floor when the shooting started. The window shattered, and two of his men rushed in and pushed us out the door into father's car. There wasn't a chance to see what was going on." 

 

Hank pressed for information. "What about your mother? Did she ever say anything about it afterward?"  

 

Elizabeth closed her eyes, and a single tear trickled down her cheek. Shaking her head, she spoke in a shallow voice, "I'm sorry, but my mother wasn't a strong woman. She was traumatized and never was herself again. She lived for a few years at the sanitarium, but she never spoke again. Occasionally, I thought she recognized my father or me, but only for a moment or two. My father changed too. He regretted bringing his family to Boston and for the war for power and wealth." 

 

"Reports say your father was looking for a diamond necklace for your mother. It disappeared —"  

 

A spark of fiery anger shot from Elizabeth's eyes. "Stop! Do not come into our home and suggest that my father stole those diamonds." Elizabeth stood and moved closer to the window. "He lost everything that day for what? Stupid diamonds? Never!" 

 

Cooper moved to his mother's side, wrapping his arm protectively around her. "Please, you are upsetting my mother with your lies." 

 

Emmy reached out and took Elizabeth's hand. "We're sorry to upset you. I understand your loss because I lost my parents, too. Hank's new to Boston, and he's unfamiliar with the events. He's just trying to do his job." 

 

"I understand." Elizabeth managed a small smile. "Please ask your questions. Neither of us knows much about my father's business and less about the jewels. As for the day of the robbery, I remember another customer, a man, but very little else about it." 

 

"I apologize again if I upset you. We believe the diamonds are in someone's hands and others are trying to get them. I'm not sure if your father's death is connected or to the man severely beaten last night, but it's my job to investigate." 

 

"I told you, Cooper and I are not connected to anything or anyone in my father's business. We know nothing about the jewels." 

 

"Okay, we've taken up enough of your time." Emmy stood, and Hank rose from his chair. "We're sorry to have bothered you." They both moved toward the study door. 

 

"Wait!" The word blurted from Cooper's mouth before he could reconsider. "The man was beaten — are you referring to Rudy?" 

 

"I believe that's his name. Do you know him?" Hank shifted back toward the desk. "Did he say something to you?" 

 

Cooper sighed. "I believe he is the man I operated on during the night. I'm not sure he'll even survive. It's touch and go." 

 

"Did he say anything — about the diamonds?" 

 

"He was incoherent, mumbling now and then. Nothing specific." Cooper hesitated as he mulled over his morning conversation with Fenton. "I need to speak to someone before I say more. Could you have another cup of coffee and a pastry while I check on something?" 

 

"I never pass up a pastry, but what kind of information do you have? Could it help us with the case?" 

 

"I'm a man of my word, so I have to speak to someone before I share any information. I'm sure you understand, Detective Armato, right?" 

 

"Sure, he does. He'll be happy to eat one of these delicious pastries. Maybe Elizabeth could show me the garden." 

 

"I'd be happy to show you the roses, but Cooper, what could you tell the detectives?" 

 

"I had a visitor this morning, and he might help, but it's not my choice whether he does. I will ask him, though." 

 

Hank reached for the biggest pastry on the tray. "Go. I'll be sitting right here waiting for you. And you girls, enjoy the roses." 

 

Cooper nodded and left for the clubhouse to speak with Fenton. He hoped the young man wouldn't be too afraid to share his information about the bank and Rudy. 




Recognized


CHARACTERS:
Frank O'Hara - deceased crime boss
Elizabeth O'Hara - daughter of deceased parents -Frank and Bethany O'Hara
Cooper O'Hara - Respected surgeon and illegitimate son of Elizabeth O'Hara
Hank Armato - Detective, newly transferred to Boston, Mass
Emmy Lansbury - Detective, interested in cold cases
Sara and Anthony - Siblings, owner/operator of the cafe
Police Chief Manley - At the helm of Boston's Police Headquarters
Kassandra - the Chief's Assistant
Andrew - Irish immigrant and elder of O'Hara's band of men
Lance Fenway - Attorney
Rupert Blackwell - Lance's first big client
Satan - Mr. Blackwell's butler and caretaker
Bennie Hogan - cousin and Lance's best friend
Rudy Hogan - Bennie's dad
Peter Costello - Rival gang boss taking the reins from his father
Bruiser - driver, bodyguard and "man of all trades"
Sandy - bartender and owner of The Watering Hole (an Irish bar in Shanty Town)
Mason and Paddy - thugs looking for a score
Fenton Bradenton - young, hardworking immigrant with a good heart
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.