General Non-Fiction posted December 1, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Christmas meals ...

The Aussie way

by Wendy G

Holiday Recipe Story Contest Contest Winner 

How many stories about Australia have you read? How many stories about Christmas in Australia? Not all stories are filled with action - some are descriptions of customs and traditions passed on through the generations, and such is this one. Sit with me on my veranda, and I'll chat about Christmas - the Aussie way.

In Australia, Christmas is in summer. It is hot to VERY hot, and often humid as well. Frequently the temperature will be in the thirties or even forties (Celsius) – between 100 and 115 degrees Fahrenheit.

So those who live near the beach will often swim or go surfing first thing Christmas morning. Even before the gifts. Children frequently spend the afternoon playing under garden sprinklers. Yes, we Aussies are different.

We are often on bushfire alert during the Christmas season. This year we should be fine, thanks to the flooding rains we have experienced. But there will be much new growth, which may mean fire danger at Christmas 2023 if next year is very dry. We tend to lurch from one extreme to the other.

Before Christmas we take the little ones to see the houses and streets with their Christmas lights and decorations. They have to stay up past their bedtime as the sun doesn't set till after 8pm, and then we must wait for darkness. Staying up is as much a treat as the lights. The sun is then up again at 5:30. Santa doesn't have much time in the southern hemisphere! 

On Christmas Day we enjoy and are thankful for family, friends and food, and offer gifts, as we remember the meaning of the first Christmas and the greatest Gift of all.

Our country is transitioning from the more traditional Christmas feasts of the northern hemisphere to food which is more suited to our climate and weather. We are developing our own special festive meals, based on our fresh local produce and suitable for hot weather.

These may not appeal to you as the snow falls – but you still might like to learn about our very different Christmas customs. While you are keeping warm around the fireplace, we are often sitting under the cooling of our air-conditioners or trying to catch a breeze on a wide veranda.

So what might be on the menu? Jugs of icy cold fruit punch, and other assorted wines and beers.

Nibbles before the main meal will often include pastries such as caramelised onion and goats cheese tartlets, or smoked salmon and cream cheese on crackers.  

Fresh seafood is often included in the Christmas meal, particularly prawns from the southern Pacific Ocean, as well as oysters, crab and lobster.

We generally do also have baked turkey and/or glazed ham, often decorated with pineapple or cherries. While these may be served with baked baby potatoes and golden roasted pumpkin and other traditional vegetables, they are now quite frequently served cold, and festive salad platters take pride of place instead of hot vegetables.

Let me share one of my favourite salad recipes (the easiest) for you to keep until summer.

Chicken and Mango (or Peach) Salad.

              shredded iceberg and cos lettuces

              baby spinach leaves

              finely sliced green onions

              sliced avocado

              shredded cooked chicken breast and

              slices of fresh mangoes or peaches

              toasted walnuts

              baby multicoloured heirloom tomatoes (optional)

Sweet chilli Dressing: Shake together, and add just before serving

                 2 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce

                 4 teaspoons fish sauce

                 4 teaspoons vegetable oil

Fresh, healthy and delicious. Of course, you can add or subtract ingredients. Change to a poppy seed dressing. Or use your own favourite. You really can’t go wrong!

Perhaps I could tempt you with a watermelon, mint, black olive and feta salad, with a fresh lime dressing? Very refreshing.

Or this the easiest salad of all? Grated carrot with finely chopped or crushed pineapple and cranberries mixed through. Juicy and sweet!

There are thousands of delicious, healthy salads, using fresh produce, herbs and proteins. Hundreds of dressings and vinaigrettes. We like to vary them, and make sure there is plenty of bright colour in the ingredients. So enticing.

And dessert? A traditional steamed pudding is less popular than our pavlova, which is a huge meringue filled with whipped cream and topped with any combination of fresh fruit and drizzled with passionfruit.

Australians also enjoy trifle – easy to prepare and very festive, presented in a glass bowl so the layers of sponge cake, jellies, mousse, fruit and custard can all be seen. Often topped with whipped cream and strawberries. Most desserts are served with rich, creamy ice-cream. Cool! And families with young children often make and decorate a gingerbread house as well. Fun.

Because we are fortunate to have a good supply of watermelons, and cherries, peaches, plums, apricots, kiwifruit, passionfruit, and mangoes during summer, there is quite often a fruit platter as well as a cheese platter after dessert.

Thinking about this has now got my mind buzzing. What should I put on my Christmas menu this year? It must be colourful and bring joy - and make good memories.

What stories of our summer Australian Christmas meals and customs will my children and grandchildren remember and share with those who follow? Will they too sit on their verandah and discuss their favourite Christmas menus?




Holiday Recipe Story Contest
Contest Winner

Recognized

#12
December
2022


Jellies: What Americans call "jello". Our trifle usually has red and green jellies.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.