Romance Fiction posted November 27, 2022 Chapters:  ...45 46 -47- 48... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Alan visits Alexandra.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 23B

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 41 days ago.

PREVIOUS POST:

Alexandra released a breath. "I'm kicking myself for being naive." When his eyebrows rose, she continued, "Alan was only interested in me because he felt I could influence Grandpa and Dad, so he'd become a partner in our law firm."

"Did Joseph have proof?"

"Joseph planned our zoom call a few minutes before Alan came for the meeting. He didn't know I was there. He told Joseph he'd been helping me with the account and now was doing most of the work. He wanted the monthly retainer to go directly to him.

"Joseph explained he was one of the original clients and no matter whom his lawyer was he always paid the firm. Alan explained since he'd be a new partner, and only related through marriage, they were changing the policy and the payment would now go directly to the active attorney. Grandpa and Dad were waiting until after our wedding to make the announcement."

"That's pretty brazen."

"That's when I stepped in. I reminded Alan there would be no marriage and even though I wasn't in New York, I continued with my work and stayed in contact with my clients. I also stated even if we were married, he'd never become a partner or even a lawyer for the firm."

"What did he do then?"

"He said he knew with his backing I could force compliance from Grandpa and Dad. Finally, Joseph said he'd already contacted the law review board and reported his behavior."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 23 B

Thursday afternoon Rosa and Alexandra picked garden green beans for canning. Just as they finished snapping them, Alexandra said, "Do you think Jim has a few minutes to get Dolly ready so I can ride?"

"I'm sure he does but stay around the house."

"I will. I'll run out and ask to have Dolly ready in, what thirty minutes? Think we'll have the jars in the pressure cooker by then?"

"Probably."

Alexandra went outside in search of Jim.

He was inside the barn and said he'd have Dolly ready. Alexandra went back inside.

*****
After the pressure cooker jangled and spouted steam, Rosa started the vacuum, and Alexandra went outside.

Jim had Dolly tied to the corral fence. Alexandra went inside the barn to thank him but couldn't find him. She paused a few minutes to visit with Bendecido and then Jewel before she headed toward Dolly.

As she petted the horse's neck, she turned when she heard a car coming down the lane. I wonder who that could be. I'd better wait. With all the noise inside, Rosa won't hear anything.

Alexandra studied the car as Alan stepped out. How'd he find me? What's he doing here? She headed toward the house.

Alan called, "Alexandra, wait. We need to talk. This silly disagreement has gone on way too long."

"I have nothing to say to you. Goodbye." She continued toward the house.

He stepped closer. "You've been here long enough. I'm bringing you home."

Alexandra glanced in his direction. "No." She backed away.

Alan slugged her.

The force caused her to stumble as the sting to her face caused her hand fly to it.

He said, "Now I have your attention, let's go."

"Leave!" She headed toward the barn. Jim!

Alan grabbed her arm and dragged her toward the car.

She yanked until her arm was free. "Leave!" She ran toward the barn.

He ran after her, grabbed a handful of her hair, and forced her toward him.

"Go!" She kicked his shin. He slugged her. She fell. Leaning over her, he repeatedly hit and kicked her. "So this is what you want. You're coming one way or the other. You aren't ruining my reputation."

Alexandra screamed, cried, and fought.

"There's nobody here." He sneered. "I saw your cowboy in town."

Jewel snorted, reared up, and pawed the fence.

Two barking German shepherds came running. As the dogs drew closer, they snarled. Otto stood over Alexandra as Alan ran toward the car with Kraus close behind. As Kraus bit his leg, Alan climbed inside. Tires kicked up gravel as he sped away.

Alexandra used Otto for help standing. The salty metallic taste of blood caused her to spit. She wiped her mouth. At least he's gone. But for how long? She hugged Otto. "Thank you." Klaus came to her, sniffed, and licked her. "Thank you. Did you get a piece of him? I was never so happy to see two dogs in my life."

She took deep breaths. Think. She glanced toward the barn. Jim's not around. Cord's doing veterinarian visits. I need water. If I go inside, Rosa will ask questions I'm not ready to answer. She saw Dolly and petted her neck. "Just a minute and we'll go on that ride. It'll help me think."

After she drank from the hose, she washed herself the best she could. Kraus and Otto watched.

Moving Dolly close to the fence, she used the bottom horizontal rail to lift herself on. My entire body's in pain. Once on Dolly, she headed down a path.

*****
When Cordero arrived home, Jim came from the barn. "Boss, Ali took off on Dolly. I'm not sure what happened but," he pointed at Kraus and Otto, "these two have been trying to tell me something. Jewel cut a front leg pawing the fence."

Removing his cowboy hat, Cordero ran his hand through his hair, and then replaced it. "How long she been gone?" He watched lightening on the horizon. "Dolly gets restless in storms."

Jim glanced at his watch. "I'm guessing about an hour. I told her stay by the house."

His jaw set, as he said, "Ali doesn't always listen." He glanced toward the clearing that Klaus and Otto ran toward. "That's probably her now."

When Dolly appeared without a rider, Jim said, "I'll saddle Chip. Do you want me to come along?"

"Dolly probably heard the thunder, got scared, and threw her. I wonder what else went on. Dad installed security cameras. Maybe they can help. As soon as you find something call." He, again, studied the sky. "This storm's going to be bad."

Cordero scanned the area. "Look around and see if you can find any clues." He exhaled loudly. "Why didn't she call? She's on foot."

As Cordero mounted, Jim held up Alexandra's phone. "This is why." He pointed. "Boss, there's blood."

Cordero tapped Chip's sides toward the clearing. Hopefully she's not far. He glanced at Klaus and Otto. "So, you two are coming. You're herding dogs, not scent hounds." After a moment, he said, "I'll accept any help. Maybe you like her jasmine perfume too. I should've invited Samson, he can always find her." He shook his head. When I find her, I'm giving her a piece of my mind. He paused. Who am I fooling? I'm going to hold and kiss her, and then chew her out.

Instead of starting slowly the rain pelleted. Cordero dismounted, removed a poncho from the saddle bag, and put it on. As he continued riding, he studied the dogs. "Sorry, I can't help you any more than I can help Ali." He continued down the path. Jim found blood. I know she's hurt, but don't know how bad. Dolly probably threw her. Now she's drenched.

He answered his phone. "What did you find?" After listening, he yelled, "Griffin beat her! Call Sam. I don't want him leaving town until I've dealt with him. I hope Ali brings charges."

Silence.

"Klaus bit Griffin. I'm glad you found a piece of fabric." Cordero shook his head. "Dad, tell Mom I'm glad she took pictures of the tire tracks before it started raining. Yes, her watching police shows helped. I'll call as soon as I know anything." He hung up. "First, I need to find her. I should've finished Griffin off when I had the chance."

The storm raged. After another thunder explosion, Cordero glanced up at the sky. Yeah, yeah, I know between the lightning and the wind, it's not safe, but I can't leave Ali out here.

Chip halted and turned his head toward Cordero.

"I know you're wet, but we have to find her." Cordero glanced ahead. "It's raining hard enough it's beginning to flood. Ali, where are you?" He closed his eyes.

Klaus and Otto ran ahead, barking.

Thank you, God.

Chip galloped after the dogs.

Almost one hundred yards down the path, Cordero caught up with the dogs. They had already snuggled next to Alexandra. With tears streaming down her cheeks, she cried, "Cord!" She pressed against a tree trunk to help herself stand.

He jumped off Chip, ran to her, and held her. He whispered, "You're safe," and kissed her, "I was scared."

Stepping back, he gave her a once over. "Let's get to safety." Watching her limp, he said, "Ankle or leg?"

"Ankle."

He carried her to Chip, put his poncho on her, and set her in the saddle. "Did Dolly throw you? Why'd she come back without you?"

"I got off because I had to use the bathroom. I tied her to a limb. I guess not tight enough. It thundered, and she took off."

He climbed behind her. "A city gal used the great outdoors for a bathroom. That's got to be a first." He leaned close, and she flinched. "I'm trying to block the rain." He motioned for Chip to walk. "I need to call home and let them know you're safe."

"I'm sorry I scared everybody."

"We'll discuss it later." Cordero waited until somebody answered. "Dad, I found Ali." He listened. "I'm not sure about her injuries. It's bad out here. It's starting to flash flood. We'll spend the night at my place. It's closer." He listened and then said, "Call Bob and tell him to expect us." Again silence. "I'm guessing we're twenty or thirty minutes away. I'll try to call when we get there, but I'm almost out of battery." Again, he listened. "I'll be careful and love you guys too."

The rest of the ride was silent.


~~~~~
I intentionally left off the accents on fiance and fiancee. I also intentionally left off the trema or dieresis on naive. I didn't want Evil Eddie adding all sorts of strange characters in my post. Thank you for understanding.
~~~~~~

~~~~
Hola is Spanish for hello

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge uses them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents' Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen and best friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Lester Brown: Pat Rogers lawyer

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

George Black Alexandra's grandpa

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy

Amy Harding: A lady who Pat Rogers raped during High School Prom, her son, Matthew

Alan Griffin Alexandra's ex-fiance

Joseph and Ruth Aaronson One of the first clients, family friends, owner of a prestige jewelry shop




Recognized

#10
November
2022


AS WE CONTINUE THROUGH THE HOLIDAY SEASON, PLEASE BE SAFE!!!!

Thank you google images for an image of a man striking a woman. I hope I added enough of the previous post to help you understand today's post. This post is a little over 1400. Thank you for your kind reviews and the support you've given me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.