General Non-Fiction posted November 10, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Tribute to very special grandparents

All boxes ticked

by Wendy G


 
 
Every-one’s grandparents are special. Ours too. Box ticked.

There's that balance of love, firmness and humour. Ours too. Tick that box.

Grandparents smile frequently; we can’t remember ours not being happy and smiling. Tick again.
 
They smell beautiful, soft and sweet, like that pink soap they always use. Tick.

Most grandparents like pottering in their gardens. Ours had beautiful roses, including the stunning "Blue Moon", and brilliant floral displays of gerberas and snapdragons. Gardening - another tick.

Do all have a giant mulberry tree? With delicious, sweet black fruit? Ours did! Our purple stained fingers were as common as their delicious mulberry jam! Grandpa punched holes in shoe-box lids, for silkworms, and fed them mulberry leaves. Special tick.

Many grandparents came from overseas, starting a new life, working hard at jobs far beneath their educational and skills levels. Ours also. Box ticked.

They arrived here from India when in their fifties. They’d always had servants, so Grandma had to learn to cook. Although only knowing Indian cuisine, she taught herself, becoming an outstanding cook, a match for any classy restaurant chef. 

No prepared foods, no microwave. Her curries, dosas, biryanis and pan rolls produced such tantalising spicy aromas - always so warm and welcoming. Big tick! 

Grandparents tell stories. Ours told of exotic places, palaces, temples, wild animals, peacocks strolling in their grounds, and of colourful, noisy, crowded marketplaces, crazy traffic, buffalos walking down village streets. They described the moon rising over the Himalayas. 

They courageously faced dangers and adventures. Grandpa nearly died from a scorpion bite. Once, while driving in a jeep, they saw a sleeping tiger lying in the road. What could they do? Toot the horn, of course! The tiger got up slowly, stared at them, then turned and ambled away, back into the jungle. Stories? Tick!

Our grandparents lived a humble life, practised their faith quietly, and left a rich heritage of faith, courage, wisdom and love for the following generations. Biggest tick of all!
 
 



Memories Of Someone's Grandparents writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Please write a story about someone's grandparents 300-330 words

Recognized


Spoken from the point of view of my children.

I was welcomed with love into the close-knit family of my in-laws.
Interestingly I met my gracious mother-in-law before I met her son. She offered me flowers from her daughter's wedding (the previous day) when I visited her church. Months later I met her son, and more months later I was introduced to her as his future bride!
These were very special grandparents!
Their heritage was Scottish, but several generations had been born and lived in India.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.