General Fiction posted November 2, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Short story: What Happened ?

Wow!

by zanya


'Just pick up the pieces.'

I was just about able to stop those classic words escaping my lips. All those times when my late Dad, Joe, resorted to that old adage of getting on with life, however bad the disappointment.

That was my Dad's recipe for most of life's woes.

Now it was my turn. Mostly I resented those words when I was a young man,railing against them and the world at large for whatever mishap had befallen me. Such a simplistic solution to life's challenges.

So, what words do I use now with my newly- fledged adult son, Jake, as he slinks through the door with his heart seriously broken for the first time?

'Dad,' he shouted, 'It was all her fault anyway. Kate and me, we never really clicked.
You know what I mean, Dad? Guess you don't, how could you? You're just an old fogey stuck in a time warp when girls weren't allowed to even show a shapely ankle?'

I held my tongue, being out manoeuvred by my young man and his flair for both language and history. The slings and arrows of parenting were now raining down!

Still,I couldn't just sit there and pretend not to notice. Should I wait until Mom returns from her work trip and place her in the firing line of the breakup?

'Nah,' I said to myself, 'if I do that Jake will think I'm a real jerk.'

So, I attempted to grasp the proverbial nettle. Clearing my throat, I began,
'Oh well, Jake, maybe you'll see it all differently tomorrow?
Time heals and all that.'

A feeble attempt at soothing the young man's broken heart it proved to be, as Jake trundled up the stairs to his room while scrolling frantically on his phone.

This was how it all happened these days via media platforms. Couldn't even catch a glimpse of a human face in anger or regret.

Soon all went quiet. Already I was beginning to miss his usual eclectic music mix that emanated from his bedroom most evenings.

Morning dawned bright. Summer days were nearing their end.

As I stood by the coffee machine in the kitchen, I could hear Jake whistling a tune as he prepped for his day of lectures.

Having taken the stairs two at a time, he breezed into the kitchen.

'Guess what Dad, Grandpa was right all along,' he said.

'Why,' I asked with a heightened degree of curiosity.

'Remember what he used to say to you when your world seemed to be falling apart.'

'What's that Jake,' I enquired.

Remember that line,'Just pick up the pieces,' Jake said and with that he raised his right hand for a high five with his old man.

Having slapped each other firmly on the back we both headed out the door.
                                          ******************

 



What Happened? writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that starts with: "Just pick up the pieces." You can extend the sentence if you wish.


Image from Goggle
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.