General Fiction posted November 6, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Is it payback time?

Random Act of Kindness

by Terry Broxson


Note: I have elected not to use quotation marks in the telling of the story. I would ask the reader to consider themselves a member of the Rotary Club as they listen to the speaker.
 
In December 2021, Doug Wolfe was asked to speak to the Rotary Club of Dallas, Texas. 
 
I've been a retired minister for almost ten years. I've witnessed many wondrous sights of God's love. I want to tell you about one person's simple act, which had great meaning. It happened thirty years ago. If you are old enough to remember, only a few people had cell phones in 1991.
 
I served as a pastor at a Methodist Church in Midland, Texas. It was the week before Thanksgiving. I'd been volunteering at Midland Memorial Hospital as a minister on call. One of the nurses came to me and told me a young woman in the lobby waiting room seemed distressed. She asked me if I could talk to her.
 
The young lady in her early twenties was sitting with a small suitcase at her feet and softly crying. 
 
I approached her and said, Nurse Stevens, asked me to talk to you. I'm Reverend Wolfe with the Redeemer Methodist Church of Midland. I wonder if I might be of some help.
 
She said, Reverend, my name is Nicole. I'm sorry to make a scene, but I don't know what to do.
 
I inquired, Nicole, tell me what's wrong.
 
She said I live in Big Spring. (forty miles away) I had a miscarriage after being pregnant for two and a half months. I was discharged this morning. I've been waiting three hours for my boyfriend to pick me up and take me home.
 
 I asked her, Do you think he is on his way?
 
She replied, I don't know; maybe not.
 
I asked, is there anyone I could call for you?
 
Shaking her head, she said, no, nobody knew about me being pregnant except my boyfriend, and I don't want to tell people right now, not like this. I could take a cab to the bus station and then a bus to Big Spring, but I don't have any money. 
 
I suggested she sit there for a moment; and let me see if I could find any help.
 
As I was walking to the nurse's station, a fellow approached me and said, Reverend, I've been sitting in the waiting room as my father is to be released soon, but I couldn't help but notice and overhear some of your conversation with the young lady.
 
I didn't want to go into any detail. I told the man she had a transportation problem and needed money to get to Big Spring. 
 
The fellow reached in his pocket, peeled off ten twenty dollar bills from a money clip, and said, see if this will help.
 
I went to Nicole and told her about the man's offer. She said, Okay, but only if he accepts a check from me for the two hundred dollars.
 
The man said that would be fine. I never saw the man again. 
 
A week later, I told my congregation this story in my Sunday sermon. I suggested to the members of our church you all probably think the man did a nice thing by cashing her check, and I would agree. But folks, yesterday, as I was preparing this sermon, I got a call from Nicole.
 
She said, Reverend Wolfe, I'm embarrassed to tell you the check I gave you for the man's money was no good; it will bounce from here to Dallas.
 
I responded, Nicole, I'm not sure what to say; I don't know the man's name or how to get in touch with him.
 
I could hear the emotion in her voice. She said, today, I got an envelope in the mail with no return address; my check was in the envelope, torn up in eight pieces, with no note. There was also a folded hundred-dollar bill.
 
She asked, Reverend, how did he know?
 
I pointed out that her name and address were printed on the check.
 
She again implored with more emotion, yes, I know, but how did he know the check wasn't good?
 
I wanted my congregation to know the same thing I said to Nicole and speak to you today. Friends, there is no expectation of payback for a random act of kindness.
 
If you find yourself able to provide an act of kindness, or should you need such an act, remember this; seek, and you will find. Let's keep that in our hearts and minds this Christmas season. 
 
***
 
After Reverend Wolfe finished his story, several people came up and introduced themselves and thanked him for speaking. One older man shook his hand and said, "Reverend, I enjoyed your story, but I think you got one thing wrong."
 
"What was that?"
 
"Her name wasn't Nicole; it was Emily."
 
A smile began to widen as it turned into a laugh, and misty eyes developed. Reverend Wolfe opened his arms, hugged the man, and said, "Right you are, kind sir." 
    
 
 



Story of the Month contest entry

Recognized


I posted this story as fiction because some elements are fiction. However, for the most part, this story is true.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by lynnkah at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Terry Broxson All rights reserved.
Terry Broxson has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.