General Flash Fiction posted October 24, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Little girl lost

Too hard!

by Wendy G

Lost - Flash Fiction Contest Winner 

 
My heart rate was increasing. I could hear the pounding in my head.
 
Urgently I called her name. Over and over again. 

How could I lose her? I was gone for only a couple of minutes.
 
Once again I ran through the house, calling. 

Although she was three, she was almost non-verbal. Nevertheless she understood everything, even quite complex sentences. 

She was always excited to see me on our special days together, and we had such fun, but every time I encouraged her to speak, she would simply say "Too hard!" She spoke only those two words. "Too hard!" 

Usually she came running when I called her name. I would sweep her into my arms and she'd throw her chubby little arms around my neck. It was our little game.

But today my imagination went into over-drive. I looked under beds, in the laundry basket, behind the lounge chairs, into every nook and cranny. I threw open wardrobe and cupboard doors in case she had closed herself inside.
 
No response. No chubby little arms held out towards me. No running steps.

In a panic I raced outside, searching frantically around the back and both sides of the yard, checking under trees and shrubs. 

Could she be behind the shed? There was just sufficient room for a small child to fit – but not enough room for me to reach her. There were spiders, perhaps poisonous ones sheltering in the dark spaces . . . . I could not see her. Had she been bitten? Was she unconscious, stuck in a small gap?

Calling, calling. No answer. No cries of joy with wide open arms. I was panicking. 

What could I say to my son, her father? How could this happen? 

I had a sudden horrid thought. My husband had gone out – through the front door, normally kept locked. I checked. It was unlocked! How could he have been so careless? Anyone could have entered the house!

Panic-stricken, I realised what had happened. A passer-by had slipped in and snatched her. My breathing was becoming ragged.
 
Should I phone my son first, or the police?

Gasping sobs were choking me as I called her name one more time. One more check. 

I entered the study, where I'd already looked several times. Why did my husband always carelessly leave his chair out, instead of tucked under his desk? Exasperated, I slid it back into place.
 
Then I saw . . . tiny toes, peeking out from behind the curtain! 

I gasped, flung the curtain aside. There she was!
 
She'd initiated a game of "Hide and Seek", and rearranged his chair herself in front of the curtain, so she could hide really well!  

"Were you playing 'Hide and Seek', my sweetie?" I queried weakly.
 
She nodded solemnly, holding out her chubby little arms. I hugged her tightly, laughing with relief.

How many three-year-olds can stay absolutely still and quiet for half an hour? Usually that's just . . .  too hard! 
 
 


Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story under 500 words about being lost

Lost - Flash Fiction
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.