Romance Fiction posted October 16, 2022 Chapters:  ...39 40 -41- 42... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cordero and Alexandra share kisses.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 20 A

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 37 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Anthony's eyes widened. "If you say so." He removed Cordero's gun from his pocket. "I forgot to give this back. Sorry."

"No problem. I realized it a few minutes ago. I doubt I'll need it."

"Griffin followed us all day."

"I know. I'd like to know what his plans are."

"It'd be nice." Anthony offered his hand. "See you in the morning."

"Sure will. Goodnight." After shutting the door, Cordero turned and stared at Alexandra's door. If I would've kissed you, I wouldn't have been able to stop. It wouldn't have been sex. We'd have made love.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 20 A

Early Sunday morning while coffee brewed, Cordero finished packing. When the coffee pot signaled done, he stood on the balcony and sipped his first cup. He watched the traffic and listened to the constant barrage of honking and sirens. I could never get used to this. He glanced toward Alexandra's bedroom. I'm in love with her, but...

His thoughts were interrupted as Alexandra struggled getting her suitcase from her room. "Good morning. The coffee smells good. Thank you for starting it."

Studying her, Cordero said, "Why didn't you ask for help?" Shaking his head, he held up a cup. "Ready for some?"

She pointed to her bag. "I didn't buy anything new. Somehow it grew." She glanced at her watch. "Yes, I have time for a little. Thank you."

He poured a cup and handed it to her. "What should I do with the towels and blankets?"

"Tomorrow Mom will send somebody to wash them. She'll take out the garbage, do any dishes, and straighten up."

Cordero sipped his coffee. "Of course."

"Is everything all right?" asked Alexandra. "I think it's your turn to talk. What's on your mind?"

"I'm wondering if you'd rather stay here."

She laid her hand on his arm. "I'm looking forward to going back to the ranch. I'm comfortable there."

His eyes met hers. "I'm glad." He glanced at his empty cup. "Do I have time for another, or do we need to leave?"

"How fast can you drink it?" teased Alexandra.

He poured some. "Really fast."

She giggled watching him guzzle most of the cup. "Ready?"

Cordero wiped his mouth. "Yes." He grabbed her suitcase. "It is heavier. Is Lily inside?"

"She doesn't weigh that much."

"You're right. She's not that big. Somehow you must've snuck Samson inside." He carried both suitcases into the hallway.

*****
After Alexandra locked the door, she turned, smiled, and stepped into Cordero's waiting arms. As he closed them around her, their lips met. At first, he softly kissed her and then the kiss changed with a slow graduation of intensity.

Feeling sensations, she never knew existed, she clung to him as the only solid in a swaying room. A soft moan escaped her lips as he led her into another kiss.

When it ended, he rested his forehead against hers. "I've wanted to do that for some time."

Alexandra's eyes remained closed, and she placed her hand on her stomach hoping to calm the sensations. She exhaled a deep breath before her eyes met his. "Why didn't you last night? Instead, you sent me to my room."

"If I'd have done it then, I'd have broken my promise to your dad, myself, and most importantly to you." When her eyes widened, he continued, "With my feelings for you, I wouldn't have stopped at one or two kisses. I realize how careful I need to be from now on. This is safe. Anthony's downstairs waiting."

Drawing her closer, his kiss, again, lingered. He whispered, "I hope you don't mind, but our relationship just went to the next level."

She reached up and kissed him. "I don't mind."

"Good."

Exhaling, Alexandra answered her phone. "Yes, Anthony, we're on our way."

Cordero grinned. "Ready?"

"Not really." She pressed the button for the elevator. My body's still tingling.

When they arrived at street level, Anthony helped Cordero with the luggage. As Anthoney helped Alexandra inside the limousine, he asked, "Still going to Central Park for the picnic?"

"Of course." Traveling to the park, Alexandra stared out the window. I sizzled. When Cord kissed me, I sizzled. Mom was right. Now what?

Cordero reached over and took her hand. "Everything all right?"

She hesitated. "Yes. I ordered breakfast and had Anthony pick it up. I'm wondering if I chose correctly."

"I can't imagine a problem. I like almost everything."

"I'm counting on that." She leaned forward and glanced out the windshield. "We're almost there. It looks like we have another beautiful day."

He grinned. "No chance of witnessing the wet T-shirt contest Mom and you discussed." When her cheeks tinged pink, he changed the subject. "The weather's been perfect. It's probably getting hotter in Texas."

Anthony opened Alexandra's door. He grinned as Cordero helped himself out. "You'll never get used to waiting on me, will you?"

Cordero chuckled. "Not when I'm capable of opening a door."

Continuing to the trunk, Anthony removed a picnic basket and a blanket.

Alexandra smiled. "Thank you. I forgot to bring a blanket."

"You know I carry all sorts of things back here that's been needed through the years."

Cordero carried the picnic basket and Alexandra held the blanket. A few moments later, she pointed to an area up ahead. "We're going there. Cherry Hill overlooks a pond. It's only April 11th so I'm hoping the cherry trees are in bloom. If they are, I think you'll like it."

He slipped his arm around her waist. "I bet even if they're not, I'll like it."

At their destination, Alexandra scanned the area.

Cordero grinned. "I think this is the perfect spot. What do you say?"

"Looks good." Her lips formed a frown. "You thought it would take me a while to decide, didn't you?"

"I've had some experience with your indecisiveness," he teased before he leaned over and kissed her.

Under her breath she muttered, "I could get used to that."

Orneriness filled his eyes as they met hers. "I heard that."

Laying the blanket down, she said, "Figures."

After they ate bagels, lox, cream cheese, and fresh fruit, Cordero said, "This was good." He hesitated before he asked, "If we have time, there's one thing I'd like to see before we leave." When Alexandra's eyes widened, he continued, "I'd like to see your office."

Alexandra smiled. "That can be arranged. It's on the way to the airport." She turned and watched a sax player. "He's good."

"He is. Is it common to come out and play?" As Alexandra nodded, Cordero stood and offered his hand. "May I have this dance?"

Standing, she accepted his hand. "I never expected this."

He kissed her. "I wanted to hold you and felt this was the best way to handle it."

"Makes sense."

They danced, their bodies crept closer, and they kissed. Someone grabbed Cordero's shoulder, as he turned a fist met the right side of his face.


~~~~~
I intentionally left off the accents on fiance and fiancee because Evil Eddie would put all sorts of strange characters in my post. Thank you for understanding.
~~~~~~

~~~~
Hola is Spanish for hello

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge uses them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents' Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen's and best friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

George Black Alexandra's grandpa

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy

Amy Harding: A lady who Pat Rogers raped during High School Prom, her son, Matthew

Alan Griffin Alexandra's ex-fiance

Joseph and Ruth Aaronson One of the first clients, family friends, owner of a prestige jewelry shop

Athony Alexandra's limousine driver




Recognized


If you have a problem with font size, I'm very sorry. You can use control and a plus sign to increase the size.

We're over 2/3's finished with this novel. I've considered posting twice a week to finish it. Still thinking about it. I've finished writing my next novel. The novel you know as Jewish Artwork, is in the works for being published as we speak. Thank you google images for a photograph of Cherry Hill in Central Park. The cherry trees are in bloom. As I always do, I made changes as I posted. I hope I didn't make it worse. There's a sentence in this post that has been giving me trouble all week. I hope you find it and help me get the wording right. This post is a little over 100 words. Thank you for your kind reviews and support you give me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.