Family Non-Fiction posted October 11, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A gift to each other

Only one

by Wendy G

One Day Of My Life Contest Winner 

Yesterday I received a gift – a sequin. Yes, just one. It shone and sparkled beautifully as it caught the light.

You think that one sequin is not much of a gift? Oh, I disagree.

It was given with all the love of a four-year-old, her eyes shining with the pleasure of sharing her treasure. She'd found it in the playground of her pre-school, amidst the grass and discarded toys of her busy happy playmates as they moved urgently from one play activity to the next.

Yesterday was Grandparents' Day. Or so I had been told. I was the only grandparent there.

Apparently they sent a message to parents, saying that they were changing the date to next week, but for one reason or another, my daughter-in-law did not receive it. It probably went to my son. Enough said.

So I drove for half an hour to see little Emma, who was very excited in anticipation of my visit.

Within a few minutes of my arrival, we were busily drawing pictures of rainbows – and I was very soon surrounded by four-year-olds, all wanting me to help them get started on similar pictures.  My art work is very little more advanced than theirs, yet I had been promoted to "artist" in residence.

I duly admired how they ate all their morning snack of fruit and yoghurt. The teacher said that normally some of them were messy eaters. I was quietly pleased that they were trying to impress me. They all called me "Nanny" – and I felt like a queen.

Did it matter that I was the only grandparent? No, not at all.

It was even more special for Emma, as there was no crowd of other grandparents to distract the children. I was HERS, and, because I was treated with deference and importance, she caught a bit of my celebrity.

I am sure that many of them told their parents that the best thing of the day was that Emma's Nanny came to pre-school – and Emma's Nanny helped them with their colouring.

For me, the best thing of the day was that I received a sequin. It will go in the "special" dish in the cabinet with all Nanny's other "special" things – bone china tea-set, crystal vases and dishes, and souvenirs from many travels.

Perhaps that dish is the most important.

It holds gumnuts found on one of our walks, a beautiful white feather from another walk, a painted rock, a token from a game, a special stone, a flower-shaped sparkly key-ring, made by one of the grandchildren from modelling clay … each has a special memory.

And now a sequin, which will remind me of the day when I was the only grandmother at pre-school.




One Day Of My Life
Contest Winner

Recognized

#6
October
2022


This is what love is. It's the value of the gift to the giver, not the price tag.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.