Romance Fiction posted October 9, 2022 Chapters:  ...38 39 -40- 41... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ali admits how much she cares for Cord.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 19 D

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 36 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

As they walked toward the limousine, Cordero pointed. "Finally, something I recognize. A horse."

"We do have horses. Police ride them, and we have these carriage rides."

Cordero offered his hand. "Would you like a carriage ride?"

Accepting his hand, Alexandra said, "I would. I've never been on one."

"Good, your second first today." Cordero faced Anthony and motioned they'd be back later.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 19 D

Alexandra and Cordero decided to ride down the world-famous Fifth Avenue passing Tiffany & Company, Trump Tower, Saint Thomas Church, Saint Patrick's Cathedral, and Rockefeller Center, and ended with a ride through Central Park.

During the ride, Alexandra held her phone. "I need a picture."

"I don't want to show up on social media."

"I don't do social media. I want it for me, only me."

The driver stopped the horses, turned, and said, "If it's all right, I'll take the picture."

Alexandra passed him her phone. He took two, one with Cordero's arm around Alexandra and another one of her kissing Cordero's cheek.

After looking at the photographs, Cordero said, "You look happy. Your eyes are sparkling."

"I am. Today was almost perfect. Would you like me to send you these?"

"Yes."

When they returned to the limousine, Alexandra took Anthony aside. "Do you know of an old-fashioned ice cream shop?"

"I do, Brooklyn's Farmacy and Soda Fountain. A friend owns it. Does it sound all right?"

"It does. Thank you." She climbed into the limousine.

As Anthony parked, Cordero glanced at the ice cream shop and grinned. "How did you find this place?"

Alexandra smiled. "I didn't. Anthony recommended it. Feel like trying it?"

"Of course."

Inside Cordero ordered his favorite, hot fudge banana split. He grinned, attempting to guess what Alexandra would order. "Any idea?"

"I'm thinking."

"We fly back to Texas in the morning," he teased.

Alexandra glanced in his direction. "You can't rush some things."

He chuckled. "Obviously."

"Since I'm being pressured, I'll have a root beer float." She paused. "No make it a hot fudge sundae with nuts, whipped cream, and a cherry."

Cordero studied her. "You sure?"

She nodded. "Yes, a hot fudge sundae."

As they ate their ice cream, his eyes met hers. "Your eyes are still sparkling."

"I'm happy." She studied her sundae. "You make me happy."

He reached over, took her hand, and grazed it with a soft kiss. "And you make me happy."

*****
At Alexandra's apartment, Anthony opened her limousine door. She took his hand and led him to the side. "In the morning before you pick us up, can you stop by Zabar's? I'll place an order." She exhaled. "I guess pick it up a little after eight o'clock. We'll have a breakfast picnic in Central Park before going to the airport."

"Not a problem. Have a nice night."

"You too." She hugged him. "Thank you for everything, Anthony."

As Anthony turned to leave, Cordero grinned. "If you two are finished conspiring, we'll go inside." He took her hand.

"Conspiring? That would imply we're secretly working together to bring a particular result, typically to someone's detriment. I doubt you have anything to worry about. I have no desire to do you harm."

He put his arm around her waist and drew her to him. "That's true; at least not intentionally."

She tilted her head. "What did you mean by that?"

"Nothing."

Inside the apartment, Cordero walked over to a glass door. "Is this door serviceable?"

"It is, but if you're going on the balcony to see the stars, it won't work. I know the stars are there, but there are too many lights."

"I figured as much. I thought I'd look at the view."

Alexandra followed him onto the balcony, and they watched traffic and the New York City skyline.

*****
Before long, Cordero answered his ringing phone. "Hi, Mom. When did you learn to use Facetime?"

"You'd be surprised what I've learned from YouTube."

Alexandra smiled. "Hi, Rosa. Hi, Jorge. I bet it's quiet there without us."

Rosa smiled. "Too quiet. I don't like it. I miss you two. How are you guys doing?"

Cordero grinned. "We're fine." He glanced at Alexandra. "What time you plan on leaving tomorrow?"

"I'd like to leave about ten o'clock. I'd say ten-thirty at the latest." Alexandra pointed to her bedroom. "I'll let you visit. I'm beat. I'm going to bed. Goodnight, everybody."

They all said goodnight to Alexandra, before Cordero asked, "Is everything all right? How's the new foal?"

Jorge said, "Everything's good. We were just wondering when you're coming home."

"Are you sure that's all? Mom, I'm aware you and Tonia worked together to plan a way of keeping us together a little longer."

"We think you two make a good couple but need more time together to realize it."

"Mom! It's Ali's and my life. Let us figure things out. We're both old enough to do that."

"I know, but..."

"But nothing, Mom."

"It's getting late. See you around two o'clock tomorrow."

"I'll call before we're ready to land. Goodnight, love you both."

"Love you too."

*****
Cordero got ready for bed and laid the blankets out. Griffin followed us all day. I wonder if Ali noticed. Probably not or she would've been upset. Anthony still has my gun. I hope I don't need it.

He lay down, adjusted his pillow a few times, and stared at the ceiling.

As silence filled the air, he heard soft whimpering. Where's that coming from? He sat up. It's Ali. Why's she crying?

Cordero walked to her door and knocked. "Ali, you all right?"

She whispered, "I'm fine."

"You're crying." He exhaled. "We need to talk."

"There's nothing to talk about."

"Since you're crying, there is."

"I'm in my pajamas."

"Put on a robe." He heard movement so went back to the couch.

After a few minutes, Alexandra opened the door wearing sweats and a T-shirt. "I thought I needed more than a robe."

"You're probably right." He scooted the blankets aside to clear a place for her. "Have a seat and tell me what's wrong."

"There's nothing wrong."

"You always lie in bed and cry?"

"Not normally."

"That's good to know." He ran his hand through his short hair. "I'm getting the quiet lawyer again. I thought we had a good time today. I think you said, 'it was almost perfect.' Help me understand the tears."

She shook her head. "Please don't make me say it."

"Say what?" He took her hand in his. "If it's causing you to cry, tell me. I need to fix it."

She dabbed her eyes. "You can't fix it."

"Everything can be fixed."

Her eyes avoided his. "This can't."

Using his hand, he moved her chin so their eyes met. "Your eyes are so expressive. Please explain."

She swallowed before she whispered, "I care for you a lot. More than I should." Tears dripped from her eyes. "Today showed me exactly how much. It scares me."

Cordero drew her into a hug and kissed the side of her head. "I understand, and you're right. I can't fix it. I care for you a lot. I'm also scared."

Alexandra pulled back a little so she could see his eyes. "Earlier when I said 'I didn't want to cause you harm', you replied 'at least not intentionally' that's what you meant, wasn't it?"

"I hate to admit it, but yes." He drew her closer again. "I'm not looking forward to the day you come back here permanently."

"Me neither."

Their eyes met. Desire filled his eyes as he drew her closer. His lips parted as they skimmed hers. He closed his eyes and gulped. "Ali, please go to your room."

When her door closed, he released a deep breath.

His head turned when he heard a knock on the door. It's probably Brent. He sensed what I almost did.

Cordero smiled. "Anthony? How can I help you? Come in."

"Sorry to bother you. I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

"Your timing's perfect. You kept me from making the biggest mistake of my life."

Anthony's eyes widened. "If you say so." He removed Cordero's gun from his pocket. "I forgot to give this back. Sorry."

"No problem. I realized it a few minutes ago. I doubt I'll need it."

"Griffin followed us all day."

"I know. I'd like to know what his plans are."

"It'd be nice." Anthony offered his hand. "See you in the morning."

"Sure will. Goodnight." After shutting the door, Cordero turned and stared at Alexandra's door. If I would've kissed you, I wouldn't have been able to stop. It wouldn't have been sex. We'd have made love.

~~~~~
I intentionally left off the accents on fiance and fiancee because Evil Eddie would put all sorts of strange characters in my post. Thank you for understanding.
~~~~~~

~~~~
Hola is Spanish for hello

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge uses them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents' Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen's and best friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

George Black Alexandra's grandpa

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy

Amy Harding: A lady who Pat Rogers raped during High School Prom, her son, Matthew

Alan Griffin Alexandra's ex-fiance

Joseph and Ruth Aaronson One of the first clients, family friends, owner of a prestige jewelry shop

Athony Alexandra's limousine driver



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


If you have a problem with font size, I'm very sorry. You can use control and a plus sign to increase the size.

Thank you google a photograph of a NYC carriage ride. This is the end of Chapter 19, finally, now our couple will get ready to fly back to Texas.
As I always do, I made changes as I posted. I hope I didn't make it worse. This post is a little under 1400 words. Thank you for your kind reviews and support you give me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.