General Poetry posted October 7, 2022 Chapters:  ...151 152 -153- 154... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
HAIBUN for the Japanese Poetry Club

A chapter in the book One Thousand Cranes

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

by Gypsy Blue Rose


If You Would Like To Join the Japanese Poetry Club, please check my author notes The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

 

The new patient sits next to me at the edge of my bed. He is staring at me in a creepy and disturbing way. His wrists are bandaged. 

The orderly passes by our always-opened door and calls for breakfast and the first round of meds. I wonder what type of tasteless food will be served today but I appreciate the routine.

After breakfast, we have a ‘check-in group’, Everybody has to score their mood on a one to ten scale. I hate it because I am comfortably numb … what number would that be?

The new medicine makes me sleepy and all I want to do is go to my room. Management insists all mentally ill participate in activities.  I pass out on my bed skipping lunch and dinner. Fuck the rules. 

When I wake up it's - visiting hours - one of the many things I dread about this place. I am jealous of the insane with family and friends.

I wish I were dead.

sun hides behind 

heavy dark clouds —

quicksand mind

 
 



Recognized


If you need help, reach out for help and hang on, it gets better. For help call 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline. click here for more mental health information

Title and Picture from the movie 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' but the poem is not about the movie.

the line, "Comfortably Numb" is a song by -Pink Floyd

HAIBUN combines prose and haiku; it's written in the present or in the past tense. The subject matter can vary widely, but usually describes an unfolding scene, a slice of life, a special moment, or a journal... Keep it as brief as possible and do not repeat words, except the, an, or, etc ... Point of View Written in the first person (everything seen through the author's eyes) Length Varies from very brief prose with one haiku to long prose with interspersed haiku.

PROSE in Haibun TELLS the story, GIVES information, DEFINES the theme, CREATES a mood through tone, and PROVIDES a background to spotlight the haiku

HAIKU in Haibun MOVES the story forward, ADDS insight into the prose, RESOLVES the conflict in an unpredictable way, or QUESTIONS the resolution of the prose. click here for more information *** Haibun Today Editorial for further reading *** Haibun Guidelines

Thank you for taking the time to read and review my poem,

Gypsy
"Hope rises like a phoenix from the ashes of shattered dreams." -- A. Sachs

*If you would like to join the Haiku Club, please click here and look for the haiku club* RESERVE A SPOT /SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Gypsy Blue Rose All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Gypsy Blue Rose has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.