General Fiction posted October 2, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A dinner party for legends.

The Seating Chart

by Terry Broxson


The joy of fiction, that which was not, can be.
 
I gathered a group of entertainment legends this Saturday night, some living and some not. I have arranged for Johnny Carson to be Master of Ceremonies. With Johnny in charge, there will be plenty of laughs.
 
There will not be any karaoke at this party. Guests will have to perform for their supper. I have selected the songs as some are my favorites of all time. The evening promises to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
 
Johnny arranged for Doc Severinsen and his orchestra. Steven Spielberg will be the director and supervise the video that will later be streamed on Amazon Prime.
 
Sitting beside Johnny is Dolly Parton. She brings the talent of a songwriter and singer, among other things. To Dolly's left is the Chairman of the Board, Frank Sinatra. Dolly and Frank are going to perform "Islands in the Stream." Frank wanted to do "Islands in the Steam." But Carl Dean, Dolly's husband, nixed it.
 
Frank will also do a solo, "The Summer Wind."
 
Next to  Frank is the "Singing Rage," Miss Patti Page. So, many good songs to choose from, but tonight she will sing "Changing Partners." I am not sure if Frank will get the message.
 
Beside Patti is Sammy Davis Jr., who wanted to be next to Frank, but Johnny explained, "Sammy, we are trying to do a boy-girl thing."
 
Sammy did agree to do the long version of "Mr. Bojangles," a classic he presented in Las Vegas. The song was written by country songwriter/singer Jerry Jeff Walker, also known for one of his other hits, "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother."
 
Sammy will highlight his singing and dancing abilities as he becomes "Mr. Bojangles."
 
Seated with Sammy is Princess Diana. Sammy is now aware of the wisdom of Johnny Carson's boy-girl thing. Sammy doesn't mind one bit that the Princess will not be singing. It turns out her other dinner companion would not come without her, Sir Elton John.
 
Sir Elton will sing "Candle in the Wind."
 
Next to Sir Elton John is Linda Ronstadt. I consider Linda the best female rock singer of her time. She is retired due to Parkinson's Disease. But tonight, she is in her prime and offering a Buddy Holly song, "It Doesn't Matter Anymore." Linda's other table mate is John Lennon.
 
Sir Elton will join John at dueling pianos in a special version of "Let It Be." Linda will add her rich voice in harmony.
 
Dinah Washington is next to the famous Beatle. Dinah will sing "September in the Rain." She will also do a duet with her table partner, Jerry Butler, after he performs "Moon River." Some think Andy Williams did the definitive "Moon River." I beg to differ.
 
Jerry and Dinah present "Let It Be Me." Dinah takes the Betty Everett part.
 
Miss Kate Smith is sitting between Jerry and Nat King Cole. Kate is the closer tonight. I know, you know, what she will sing, but you have to wait for it. The great Nat King Cole will render "Mona Lisa."
 
"Mona Lisa" was released in 1950 and won the Academy Award for best original song in the movie "Captain Carey, USA." It was number one for five weeks and was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. It was Nat's favorite song.
 
Sitting between Nate King Cole and Ray Charles is Nora Jones.  After Ray completes "I Can't Stop Loving You," Nora joins him on one of the dueling pianos, and they stun the guests with a soulful "Here We Go Again." 
 
Johnny Carson stands and says, "Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to announce we have one more guest who just arrived on the Marrakesh Express performing "My Sweet Lord" welcome, George Harrison. John Lennon gives George a "high five" picks up a guitar and joins the fun.
 
The lights dim, and the spotlight shines on Kate Smith, whose smile reaches from New York to Los Angeles and belts out, "God Bless America!"
 
My dinner date and I are sitting at our table for two. It is a few feet above the main dinner table with a perfect look at the stage. Director Spielberg has provided us with closed circuit sound and pictures of all the guests during dinner. He also provided a mute button, so I could concentrate on my date. 
 
Our view has been outstanding, the food exquisite, the music exceptional, and the wine divine. Miss Marilyn Monroe's whispery voice says, "Oh, this has been so much fun; I don't want it to stop."
 
"Marilyn, it doesn't have to stop."
 
What? I am an old guy. I am a widower. This is my fiction.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



Recognized

#11
October
2022


This is not an entry for the contest, THE DINNER SEATING CHART. I did create the contest, and I hope some of you will enter and have some fun with it. I did when I envisioned this fictional dinner party. If you have some time play some of the songs I have selected or go to youtube and check them out.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Terry Broxson All rights reserved.
Terry Broxson has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.