Romance Fiction posted September 4, 2022 Chapters:  ...33 34 -35- 36... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ali shows Cord the NYC night skyline.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 18 B

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 35 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

When Alexandra returned, Cordero grinned. "I never had a chance to tell you how amazing you look." He took her hand. "I agree with Joseph, that necklace matches your eyes."

Her eyes twinkled. "You look pretty sharp yourself, Cowboy." She hesitated before she continued, "I need to ask, once you said, I was pretty in my city clothes, but you thought I'm prettiest in my cowgirl clothes. Which is it?"

He took her in his arms, "Let's dance," and twirled her around. "I plead the fifth. I doubt there's a right answer."

"You could be right."

Moments later a bell sounded. Cordero's eyes widened.

Alexandra took his hand. "Dinner's being served. This way."



TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 18 B

After dinner and the birthday cake were eaten, Alexandra hugged Cordero's arm. "Come with me. I want to show you something."

His eyebrows rose. "Do I have a choice?"

"You could say no, but then you'd miss out."

Cordero grinned. "Wouldn't want to do that. Where we going?"

"It's a secret." She led him to an elevator.

After they rode up and the door opened, they stepped onto the Rockefeller Center's three hundred sixty degrees observatory deck. Alexandra led Cordero to the edge. "We're seventy stories up. You can see The City's lights at night."

"It's amazing. That's for sure."

"But there are so many lights you can't see the stars." Alexandra pointed. "Over there's the Empire State Building." After a few moments, she again pointed. "That's the Brooklyn Bridge." Lastly, she made note of the Statue of Liberty and New York Harbor.

"I hate to admit it, but I'm impressed. There's nothing like this in Lobo." Cordero hesitated. "Since we're alone, I'd like to clear up something." His eyes met Alexandra's. "Why didn't you invite me to this shindig?"

"I wanted to, but I understand how much you hated Houston. I can imagine your thoughts on New York City. Two million people verses eight million. I didn't want you to feel pressured to attend."

He brushed her cheek with his lips. "I'm here because I want to be." She started to say something, but he stopped her. "Please let me finish. You're right I don't like cities, but you needed to attend and were worried about," he paused and searched for the proper word, but settled on, "that 'jerk'. You had every right to be concerned. Next time when something comes up, please let me make the choice if I'll attend. If your well-being's in question, I'll always say yes. Will you do that for me?"

Alexandra hugged him. "Yes." She glanced at her ringing phone. "Sorry." After she answered, she said, "Mom, we'll be right there."

He sighed. "We need to return?" When she nodded, he cupped her elbow and led her to the elevator. "Thank you for bringing me up here."

*****
At the Rainbow Room, Mr. and Mrs. Aaronson walked up to them, and Joseph said, "It's getting late, and we need to leave. I wanted to say goodbye."

Alexandra fingered her necklace. "Thank you for this gorgeous necklace."

"It's my pleasure." He hesitated. "May I contact you Tuesday?"

"Tuesday isn't a good day. I'll be in court. How about Wednesday? I'm free all day. Whatever time is best for you will be good."

"Monday I'll check my schedule and text you with the time."

"Sounds good."

After helping with their coats, Alexandra and Cordero walked them to their waiting car.

Cordero and Alexandra continued dancing. As guests left, they stopped, said goodnight, and thanked them for attending.

Close to eleven, George, Brent, and Tonia walked up to them. George said, "You young'uns can stay and dance all night, but I'm saying goodnight." He shook Cordero's hand and kissed Alexandra's cheek.

Brent nodded. "I'm in agreement. Tonia, ready?"

Cordero glanced around. "Do we need to cleanup?"

Tonia smiled. "Nope, we have people who'll do that. You two about ready?"

Grinning, Cordero said, "I'm beat. I was up all night with a mare whose foal wasn't sure he wanted to come into this world."

Alexandra touched his arm. "I'm sorry. You didn't need to..."

"We're not going over that again," interrupted Cordero. "I'm where I want to be, remember?" After she exhaled, he added, "Good."

Brent called their car service and then reported, "It seems Griffin's still hanging around. Ali, I don't think you'd better go to your apartment alone."

Tonia took her daughter's hand. "You're spending the night with us."

"I have a doorman. I want to stay in my apartment. Lily's there."

Cordero shook his head. "I know this doesn't sound or look proper, but I'll stay with Ali. I promise she'll be safe." His eyes met hers. "If it's okay with you? I'm guessing you have a spare room or at least a couch."

Alexandra swallowed. "I have both." She glanced at her parents. "We've been staying in the same house for over a month." She studied Cordero. "I know you won't let anything happen. It'll be fine. Are you...?"

Cordero slightly opened his tux jacket and nodded.

George patted Cordero's shoulder. "That'll get you in trouble here." He chuckled. "But in Texas it's status quo. That would be an interesting trial. Griffin doesn't know who he's dealing with, does he?"

With a grin and sparkle in his eyes Cordero said, "Not when it comes to protecting Ali."

Brent kissed Alexandra's cheek. "Our car's here. I'll see you in the morning."

As George, Brent, and Tonia drove away. Alexandra said, "I forgot my stole. I'll be right back." She went inside.

Anthony walked up. "Mr. Ortiz, you probably already know, but we'll be waiting a while."

Leaning against the car, Cordero said, "I've waited for her on a few occasions." He hesitated, before he asked, "How long have you been Ali's driver?"

"I started when she was in high school but didn't drive her often. While in college and during summer vacations she interned for the firm, so I was her driver. I became her permanent driver once she graduated."

"What do you do while she's in Texas?"

"There's enough people coming and going with the firm I'm always busy."

Cordero's eyes met Anthony's. "I know I shouldn't ask. There's probably a confidentiality issue, but I need to. I care about Ali. How well do you know Alan Griffin?"

"I've driven them a few times."

He rubbed his chin. "Ever been worried about how he treated her?"

"I've never seen anything, but on several occasions, I've felt he didn't treat her well." Anthony nodded and moved to open the limousine's door. "Ms. Black, are you ready?"

"Yes, thank you, Anthony."

After Cordero was seated, Anthony asked, "Are you going straight home?"

After she answered, Cordero said, "It's not too late to change your mind. I'm sure Anthony wouldn't mind taking me to your parents' or a hotel. Are you positive you're comfortable with me staying in your apartment?"

"I am." Alexandra stared out the window, and then faced Cordero. "You've never given me any reason not to trust you."

The remainder of the trip was silent. As Anthony parked, Alexandra's eyes met Cordero's. "Do you really think Alan will try something? Why won't he believe it's over?"

"To be honest, I think he wants something more from your relationship than you. I'm not sure what that is or was."

~~~~~
I intentionally left off the accents on fiance and fiancee because Evil Eddie would put all sorts of strange characters in my post. Thank you for understanding.
~~~~~~

~~~~
Hola is Spanish for hello

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge uses them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen's and best friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

George Black Alexandra's grandpa

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy

Amy Harding: A lady who Pat Rogers raped during High School Prom, her son, Matthew

Alan Griffin Alexandra's ex-fiance

Joseph and Ruth Aaronson One of the first clients, family friends, owner of a prestige jewelry shop



Recognized

#10
September
2022


If you have a problem with font size, you can use control and a plus sign to increase the size.
Thank you google an image of the NYC night skyline from the Rockefeller center. I'm visiting my youngest son, Steven, and using a laptop. I struggle with the laptop.
I prefer my PC, so there are probably many errors. Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.