General Fiction posted September 1, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A message is left for the wrong number.

Voice Mail

by Terry Broxson


I always turn my phone off at night. It saves the battery, and I don't get dings, rings, and notifications to awaken me.
 
 I rarely receive phone calls that are important these days. If it weren't for telemarketers and doctor appointment reminders, there would be few calls.
 
So, I was surprised to find three voice messages when I turned my phone on at 7 AM on a Thursday.
 
The first message said, "Dudley, I really do love you."
 
The message was left at 9 PM last night. The feminine voice was of indeterminable age. I am not Dudley, and I don't know any Dudley.
 
She continued, "I have been thinking it over like I said I would. I now think I made a mistake telling you I wanted to stay with my husband."
 
Umm, this could get interesting.
 
"I thought I could break it off,  but the last month without seeing you has made me miserable. Please text me or call me. My phone is in silent mode. I will call you back. We need to talk." 
 
I checked my call log. There were three calls from the same area code and number, but no name—just Mabank, Alabama. I don't know anybody in Mabank.
 
The second call came at 11:30 PM. "Dudley, I know it is getting late. I hope you haven't received my first message yet and will call me back. I don't think I could stand it if you were mad at me or blowing me off. I know now my chance for happiness is with you and not Ron. Whatever I need to do, or wherever I need to go, just tell me. I am ready to commit."
 
Should I call her and tell her she had the wrong number? It is none of my business. I live a quiet life in a retirement complex. But this is better than anything on television. I better listen to the last message.
 
Oh wow, this message came in at 6:30 AM, less than an hour ago.
 
"Dudley, my husband overheard me. The SOB was spying on me. He is such a lousy sneak. He didn't say anything last night but told me he knew this morning. He left for a job site and said to be gone when he came home. Where do you want me to meet you, darling?"
 
I am reminded of my wife, who left me for my younger brother years ago. I suppose the kind thing would be to call her and explain she has the wrong number. What to do? 
 
I think I would rather text her than call her. Calling might be embarrassing and too personal.
 
You have hurt enough men; leave me alone forever, Dudley.
 
 
 



Best Served Cold writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction tale of REVENGE. Maximum 800 words. This can be in any genre and can range from a light-hearted prank to a murderous act of vengeance. Clever twists and irony encouraged.

Recognized

#29
September
2022


This is fiction, but the unnamed fella has a generic voice mail message, so the lady caller didn't hear any name, just a 'leave a message.' She made a mistake when dialing the number, it had been a month since she talked to Dudley, and she hit redial when she called him back. Lastly, the unnamed fella had blocked his outgoing caller ID, so the lady did not know the text was not from Dudley.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Terry Broxson All rights reserved.
Terry Broxson has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.