Biographical Non-Fiction posted August 15, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
We all need one at times ...

Bella's clock

by Wendy G




When my daughter Bella was young, she always had a way with animals.

At the animal petting zoo, she encouraged frazzled chickens and rabbits to sit on her knees and rest.

She could tell they'd had enough of hundreds of little hands patting and stroking them all day long. Too intense.

The little animals frequently fell asleep on her lap; she was content. When it was time to go home, we had to wait for her little charges to wake up.


She was the same with young children. Her caring placid nature meant she could calm toddlers and rock babies to sleep for harried mothers. I knew she would choose to be an infants teacher.

Bella is capable, creative and motherly. She now teaches children aged four and five.

This year she has a large class – and several difficult children, for various reasons: some challenging behaviours have been diagnosed, others not yet. The children love her, without exception.


She is making progress with Billy, who has autism, and she has an excellent working relationship and friendship with his mother, Anne.

Anne very much wanted Billy to participate in the Infants' Disco on Friday after school, like all the other kids. There was music, dancing and games, there were glow sticks – but it was all a bit overwhelming for Billy, who was very reluctant to enter the hall.

Bella invited Billy to stand with her and watch.

Anne left, a little anxious.

Bella showed Billy how each child's glow stick was making a little coloured space … so pretty. She spoke quietly to him, and asked Gina to show him how to make shining shapes of light with hers.

He soon joined in – and stayed till the end! Anne was amazed that Billy had enjoyed a wonderful time, and asked Bella about her strategy for coaxing Billy to participate.


"I helped him to focus on just one colourful glow stick. Then I suggested he stay for five minutes; if he wasn't happy, I would phone you immediately to pick him up straight away," Bella replied. "He watched me set the timer on my phone."

"The clock! That's what he meant! He was so excited about your clock!" Anne replied.


"It made all the difference for Billy. He felt he was in control, not trapped here with movement and noise, and no escape," Bella replied. "Just my "clock" was sufficient for him to relax, choose his own glow stick, and make his own colourful space. I also took a video of him dancing – the pleasure on his face is beautiful, so I'll forward it to you!"

A successful disco for Billy. A successful outcome for Anne. A successful Friday for Bella.

Does Bella's obvious solution merit a story? For other children, perhaps not. Because it was Billy, yes.

The easier option would be for Billy to not attend the disco. Autistic children are frequently withdrawn, just in case they fall apart, when situations are stressful and stimuli are overwhelming.

However, Bella and Anne are working towards helping Billy to manage his autism – and this requires acknowledging and overcoming the challenges, and building his confidence.

He will remember his victory and happiness at the disco, and that will give him the courage to believe in himself.

Billy is learning to cope – one step at a time – and, with the help of Anne and Bella, he may well be able to live a full life with all its pleasures, just like other children.


Sometimes one just needs the help of something tangible to hold onto, like the countdown on Bella's "clock".

We all need a clock at times!


Sophie was different. Sophie had regular meltdowns with crying and screaming.

She had many behavioural issues, including kicking other children and teachers, and throwing things … toys, blocks, even chairs.


She was a handful, even for Bella. Sophie regularly saw a child psychologist.

How would Bella deal with her? How would Bella maintain a positive classroom with a proper learning program and outcomes to be met by all her students, including the difficult ones – and also prepare Sophie for next year in formal schooling?

Sophie's story "Squeeze the lemons!" is next ….


 



Recognized


Australian spelling throughout.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.