Biographical Non-Fiction posted September 10, 2022 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Saber-Toothed Tiger

A chapter in the book Novella - Unwanted Dog

Unwanted Dog-7

by Brett Matthew West


Released by her own Dolly Records recording company, The Dolly Parton-written song "Together You And I" was the first Single from her 2011 Better Day album. The song was also a remake of her 1974 Hit Duet with Porter Wagoner on their Porter 'n' Dolly album.

Dolly debuted "Together You And I" on the May 27, 2011 edition of the Ellen DeGeneres television program.

Released on April 19, 2004, the "Big Kenny" William Kenneth Alphin and John Rich co-written "Save A Horse (Ride A Cowboy)" was the second Single from their Horse Of A Different Color album on the Warner Bros. Nashville record label.

A fusion of Country Rock and Country Rap, "Save A Horse (Ride A Cowboy)" was featured by ESPN in their 2004 World Series of Poker commercials.

"Save A Horse (Ride A Cowboy)" also appeared in the "Death Be Not Proud" episode of the Boston Legal television series.


******************************************************************************************
******************************************************************************************


AS PEACEFUL AS THE RIVER BELOW ME, I CROSSED WHAT BECAME A NASHVILLE LANDMARK; THE SHELBY STREET BRIDGE OVER THE CUMBERLAND RIVER. Suffering from the familiar glassy eyed stare of vasodilation, a white beard wore psychodelic flip flops on his stubby toes. He held a bamboo fishing pole in his hand. Its line dangled over a rail of the bridge. An unzipped jacket, with a Vietnam War Veteran patch sewn on the sleeve, draped his shoulders. Ragged shorts revealed his protruded knocked knees. A sudden jerk indicated he had a nibble. Probably a catfish. I gave him a quick thumbs up as I strolled by and stepped off the bridge at its end. My movement forced an oncoming car to slam on its brakes to avoid running me over.

The terrified driver, probably not much older than this morning's oatmeal, mouthed, "Motherf_____!" In my direction.

"Butthole!" I returned the pleasantry with a single-fingered salute. The extended high, hard, middle one, of course.

He regained his composure, sipped from a paper bag, and sped off. The blue beacon of a Davidson County cruiser flashed.

"Ticket City." I smiled, pleased by my actions.

The Shelby Street bridge was the first one in the United States to contain concrete trusses. If you know anything about Country music, you should be familiar with this National Register of Historic Places bridge. Video appearances for the structure have included Dolly Parton's "Together You And I," Big and Rich's "Save A Horse (Ride A Cowboy)," and many others.

A prehistoric Smilodon's foreleg and fang had been found two years earlier not far from where I stood. Robustly built with broad limbs, a short tail, and short feet, Smilodons are more commonly known as saber-toothed tigers. They existed during the Pliestocene Era, up to about 10,000 years ago. These apex predators feasted on prehistoric bison.

The specimen had been unearthed in a cave system beneath the construction site of the First American National Bank building on Deaderick Street. This road can be found in the Kerrigan Basin, not far from the State Capitol, or the Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum.

The fossil's breaking news story made the headlines of the Tennessean Newspaper and became fashionable in Downtown Nashville. In 1998, the detection evolved into the logo of our city's National Hockey League team, the Predators, and its mascot, Gnash.

So, the age old question remained of where did life begin? I've always believed at conception. You know, that physical coalescence of a male and a female in the act of reproducing another human. If you cared to google this information for whatever purpose you may encounter, current statistics indicated there are approximately seven billion or more such creatures roaming the face of the Earth. They came in diverse shapes and sizes, as well as a multitude of different hues and tones. They also contained a vast array of other qualities. Some more desirable than others.

I never catered to fate. Destiny did me no favors, at least, not positive interactions. The morning sky did not open up, nor did a voice out of the blue confront me. I was far from these miraculous happenings. Marginally no more than a street urchin, and a rowdy hooligan to boot, this young scamp's misfortunes would soon turn forever on a chance encounter.

(TO BE CONTINUED:)

In Chapter Eight, sleeping under a downtown underpass, my restless mind recalls the day's events, including some I have not mentioned yet.



Recognized


Boscoe, by Linda Wetzel, complements my autobiography.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Linda Wetzel at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.