Spiritual Script posted August 7, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Is afterlife subjective? How many different heaven or hells?

Announcement

by Michael Cassar

Julian, Austin, McCauley, Jack, Madhav, and Omar met at Stuyvesant High school, Manhattan. This bond forged out of their strong interest in Math. Their hunger for knowledge in science projects brought them closer together. Austin, who lived on twenty third Street and third avenue often invited his friends over. His mother made them chocolate cookies. A tight bond emerged by the end of their freshmen year in high school. Nothing ever disrupted it. They knew each other well, their parents, and siblings. In their parents’ homes they drafted their friendship code, weekly contacts, movies, sports activities, careers’ discussions, college, university preferences, dating and marriage.
On September 3, 2018, Julian called his five friends on a conference call. Julian summoned the group to attend a special event he planned for the upcoming weekend. Julian emphasized: “no bullshit excuses were to be accepted.” A dinner at Brescia a neighborhood Italian restaurant, who had catered to few of the family events, births, kindergarten, high school, and college graduations. The owner Michelangelo Santorini had accompanied Julian and his family to Brescia Italy and introduced them to his family.
 Each friend called Julian privately to inquire about this impromptu friendship dinner. Speculation among friends intensified. Austin, who was Julian’s business accountant, wondered if the government awarded Julian’s business with the bid to install lights at the new school construction. McCauley, the only friend referred to by his last name, speculated that Julian might be selling his successful business. Jack, the only Jewish kid in the group, inquired if his wife had received any confidential information from Jackie, Julian’s wife. Madhav, who lived near Brookhaven had protested about the time. He promised to make a valiant attempted to get to Manhattan by six. Omar, attorney, and partner in New York Corporate Law Firm, modestly guaranteed his presence.
Everyone showed up on time. Why a lavish event? A full display of seafood, an open bar, but no wives. Julian answer was unequivocal: “you will know later. Horn up your curiosity.” Austin, took him to the side and in a private exchange inquired: “Did you get the school bid?” Austin completely stunned by Julian answer: “private issue my friend.”
When the “Stuy Buddies” settled around the appetizer table, Julian tapped gently on the wine glass. Julian noted that their friendship was void of their youth’s intellectual hunger. He recalled their literature debates. He proposed a discussion on Milton’s and Dante’s view of paradise. He now craved to know if his friends genuinely believed in the existence of paradise. If yes, what is it like? Omar, inspired by his southern religious roots, asked: “Is this a religious or literary debate?’
McCauley, who throughout his life attended wakes, stated: “Paradise is better than a Disney creation. We have designed various ideas about Paradise. There are six different concepts of paradise just in this room alone.”
“Well, we are all getting up in age.” Julian interjected, “Since we are in midstream of life, I wondered if we should tackle this issue before it is too late?”  Turning to his friend Jack, Julian stated that he followed Jack’s suggestion. He read Dante’s Inferno. It was quite a surprise. Julian assumed that Jack did not believe in afterlife, heaven, or hell. “McCauley remember how perturbed Jack was after your grandmother died. He refused to come to the wake. Even though he loved McCauley’s grandmother and her oatmeal cookies.”
Jack intervened into the discussion. “We have own traditions and rituals to deal with the dead. We prefer to prepare one’s body immediately for burial. It is an affirmation that life ended. “When Uncle Jacob died, I was older and understood better the translated Hebrew prayers. The burial prayers hinted to the afterlife.”
Madhav, a physics professor, expounded on his knowledge and belief about religions. Whatever one’s belief, it emanates from man’s creative mind. “If I recall correctly,” John Milton wrote: “The mind is its own place and, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.” Madhav, a Hindu by birth but a slowly converted to atheism, iterated: “The world, or to be precise the universe has been in existence for millions of years. Religions have a short timeline in the history of creation.”
“Are you saying that man created the notion of God?” Julian asked. “Is there any differentiation between the body and soul?”
McCauley interrupted. “My Irish pastor differentiated between the body and soul. After death, we bury the body in preparation for the last judgement. The angels shall come back on judgment day; they shall summon us, and after we recover our bodies, then the last judgement will take place.” Then McCauley expanded: “As a young boy, I spent hours wondering how the last judgement was going to happen. What kind of an amphitheater God must have to reunite every person from every nation since the beginning of times? Imagine the angels must figure out how to deal with all existing human issues of discrimination.” Turning towards Austin he asked: “Why are you so quite?”
Omar answered: “Austin’s is Julian confident. I will bet he will be on Julian’s right hand on that day.”
Austin, nursing his “neat” Manhattan, remarked: “Julian, I am sure you will light up McCauley’s amphitheater. Is there a paradise that you would choose? Any choice Julian?
Julian did not answer. It was quite opportune that Michelangelo announced the main course was ready to be served. All guests took their seats. “Saltimbocca all Romana.” All the Stuy buddies loved this dish. It was also Julian’s favorite. Before answering the question on paradise, Julian diverted his attention to their families. The friends had given birth to eighteen children. Four had become grandparents. Sharing pictures of loved ones was a ritual Julian enjoyed in the company of his friends.
Austin had become slowly impatient. Sitting next to Julian, he tapped on the glass. He stood up and thanked Julian for this unexpected gathering. “I think we have waited long enough to find out why were we assembled at such a short notice. I do not think that your intent for gathering us here was to discuss Dante’s Divine Comedy.” The five stood up raised their wine glass. Julian waved everyone to sit down.
Having masqueraded his fear all night, he almost decided to cancel his announcement. He wondered if he should have delegated Jackie to reveal this information. Their reaction would be unbelievable. Last night Julian disclosed his terminal illness information to Jackie. Her reaction numbing: “No, I cannot believe this. I will call the doctor in the morning.” It was hard to convince Jackie that the oncologist was so definitive in his medical assessment. Looking him straight in the eye, she demanded: “Why did you hide this information from me.”  “How about surgery?”  With trepidation Julian revealed that surgery would shorten his final days. He wanted to get all the children together and break the news to all of them.
“Julian, you cannot muzzle my mouth. You cannot go and blabber away with your friends and expect me to keep this news away from our children.” Jackie yelled.
“Then call all the kids tomorrow night and tell them to come to our house on Saturday. I will ask Michelangelo to prepare dishes for the family gathering. I will ask Louis to pick up the food.” 
Julian was acutely aware how this news affected Jackie. He left for work late the next day. Jackie was in total shock when the oncologist confirmed the information Julian had given her. “Jackie, his cancer is spread all over.”
Now it was time to face another body of unbelievers. Julian stood up and thank them for coming at such a short notice. “I know you have been wondering why?  It is a special affair. I plan to share an unexpected announcement. Jack knew I shall be the first one leaving this group.” A big sigh filled the room. “This Monday, I had the worst news of my life. After a quick consult with an oncologist arranged by my GP, the oncologist broke the terrible news. I have pancreatic cancer which has spread extensively. As tears rolled down his cheeks, Julian continued: “Last night I shared this news with Jackie. She is devastated. I could not discuss Dante with her. I ask you to keep this news private. Tomorrow night I will share this news with my children. This had been a unique friendship. It has sustained my life. I face an unfortunate reality. I will not be able to return and let you know what kind of paradise I enjoy. But I do hope to meet you all once again to continue enjoying our friendship. Salute to our friendship. Love to all.”
Two weeks later, they witnessed in silence and tears Julian lowered into the ground. A friendship abruptly interrupted. His parting words: “I do hope to meet you all once again.” Will they ever meet him again in afterlife? If yes.
Where? Which PARADISE?
 




Your view of the afterlife contest entry


Dante and Milton created a venue for readers to consider the paths to the afterlife. Religions have throughout the times added to our notion of what awaits us after this journey on earth. Are there rewards for GOOD AND EVIL? A complex answer only to be discovered in its true form in the afterlife.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Michael Cassar All rights reserved.
Michael Cassar has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.