Biographical Non-Fiction posted August 2, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
On the threshold of life

New start

by Wendy G

The time of my life: Contest Winner 



Perhaps the best time of my life was a quiet interim – a pause.

I valued it then, but I appreciate that time even more in retrospect.

I had applied for a teaching position in the country, to escape my traumatic childhood life and dysfunctional family, and was blessed to be allocated to a school in the centre of rich farmlands – a long way away. A new beginning.

Herds of black cattle grazed languidly on the lush green grasses of rolling hills. A quick drenching storm each afternoon watered the area, providing a little relief from the relentless heat.

The level plains were filled with sugar cane plantations. Driving through this beauty was my daily commute to the small town which had the only high school in the region.

The students, who came by bus from up to forty kilometres away, were hard-working, up at the crack of dawn to help with milking the cows. Afternoon milking took precedence over homework – it was a long day for students.

There were few, if any, behaviour issues, although motivation was sometimes lacking if students were tired, or did not see the point of learning my subject areas, which even appeared to me to be somewhat irrelevant to their life-style and interests!

I chose to live a few kilometres out of town, in a small beach-side cottage. I walked thirty metres to golden sands of the secluded beach. I watched the sun rise, sparking the deep blue water with golden shafts of light, beneath pink and gold skies.

After school I walked daily in the quiet serene beauty of late afternoon; once the sun set in its blaze of glory behind the hills, the tropical night fell swiftly.

The evenings were lit by the silver moon glow, softly catching the crests of waves. In the country, away from city lights and pollution, stars shone with brilliance.

I was young and trying to find myself. Who was I? Who did I wish to be? How would I act and react without the crushing pressures of trying to survive an unhappy family?

Here, I felt liberated and fully free, on the cusp of adulthood. So much to learn, and I grew daily.

I developed the art of hospitality towards others and together we valued the simple pleasures of home-cooked food and respectful conversation.

Although alone, I was not lonely, with a number of chameleons for company, and the regular visits of a small tree-frog. I heard the sounds of nocturnal animals scurrying about their busy lives.

Peace and a stable daily life gently renewed, refreshed and restored me.

I found myself and my identity, and learning to value myself released me to value others. A two–year period of healing. I was ready to live. A precious time of my life, perhaps the best.


Writing Prompt
Write a short story. The topic is: The best time you ever had in your life. It can be as an adult or as a child. Please keep it clean. Minimum length 100 words. Maximum Length 4,000 words.

The time of my life:
Contest Winner


British/Australian spelling used.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.