Romance Fiction posted July 24, 2022 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The journey to El Paso.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 16 A

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 32 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Cordero left and returned with a laptop. After he found it, he pointed. "Dad, look."

Jorge shook his head. "Magoffin isn't in one of the safest areas. Be sure to..."

"I know," interrupted Cordero. "I'll be prepared." He glanced at Alexandra. "You look fantastic. I'm sure you dressed to look professional, but tomorrow dress so you don't draw attention to yourself." When her eyes widened, he added, "You will automatically because you're beautiful. We don't need to add rich. This is a high crime area. One of the worst in El Paso."

"I understand."

Jorge asked, "Ali, do you speak Spanish?"

"I'm sorry, but no."

"I don't know if circumstances will call for it, but don't be surprised if Cord goes into his full accent."

"I've heard it once. At first, I was surprised. I don't hear an accent when he speaks English, only with certain words."

Chuckling Cordero added, "Your bright blue eyes are going to announce you're an outsider. Magoffin's about ninety percent Hispanic."

"I'll wear sunglasses." After everyone laughed, Alexandra asked, "Does Amy speak Spanish?"

Cordero thought for a moment. "Very limited when I knew her, but I suspect she's picked it up."

Rosa stood and picked up some plates. "Before I start on the dishes, how about breakfast around six-thirty?"

After everyone agreed, Cordero and Alexandra went to the barn to check on Bendecido and work with Jewel.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 16 A

Tuesday morning as they turned onto US-90W, Alexandra faced Cordero and asked, "You're worried about going to El Paso, aren't you?"

"Yes and no. I've been there often. If we were staying in the main city, no problem. Unfortunately, Amy lives in a bad neighborhood. Would you take a walk in East Harlem?

"No. It's dangerous."

"Same here." He reached over and took her hand. "My confidence in you being able to take care of yourself, I'm sorry to say, isn't high."

"As much as I dislike what you said, I have to agree. I think a self-defense class may be in my future."

"Probably a good idea."

"You're armed, aren't you?" When he nodded, she started to say something, but instead answered her ringing phone.

After listening, she said, "Mr. Brown, I'm unable to meet with you right now." She listened and then said, "Why is none of your business." She paused. "I'll check my calendar and return your call." After a silence, she said, "I'll get back to you sometime today. Probably soon." She hung up and turned off her phone.

Cordero asked, "A problem?"

"Mr. Brown wants to set up a meeting." She glanced at the open fields. "Are we close to a town?" When his eyebrows rose, she continued, "I want to buy a burner phone. I need to return his call, but he could trace my phone and might figure out what I'm trying to do."

He grinned. "I'm impressed. You're more street-savvy than I thought." A few moments passed, before he said, "Van Horn's up ahead. From there, we'll follow I-10 into El Paso. You can buy your phone there."

As Cordero parked in the Walmart parking lot, Alexandra said, "Before we go in, I have a question."

He faced her. "Okay." A silence continued. "It must be serious you're silent and avoiding eye contact."

Again, silence.

Alexandra blurted, "Do you wish I was more like you?"

Cordero's eyes widened. "That's a loaded question." He took a moment to form his answer. "You could mean a few different things. If you meant, do I wish you were male?" He chuckled. "No way."

She gave him a warning stare. "Be serious."

"If you meant, do I wish you were from Hispanic descendants? It's not important as long as my culture's respected. You do." Cordero exhaled. "Now for the tough one. If you meant, do I wish you weren't from New York City? I do wish that. But I need to add, I care about you, a lot. Being from the city is part of who you are. I like that. My fear is what's going to happen when you return home. To say I'll miss you is an understatement."

There was a few moments of silence before Alexandra said, "Thank you for being honest. I appreciate it."

Cordero opened his door. "Let's get that phone." He walked around and opened her door. "We good?"

She nodded.

*****
When they returned to the pick-up, Alexandra studied the new phone. "I guess I'd better call Brown."

Cordero nodded. "I'll stay quiet."

"Thank you." She put in his number. "Hello Mr. Brown. This is Alexandra Black." She listened. "I know this isn't my number." She crossed her fingers. "I forgot to charge my phone. I borrowed a friend's. My clients will entertain the idea of making a deal, but it'll need to be in their favor. I'm not opposed to a trial, and neither are they. What date is your client looking at?"

After a long silence, Alexandra said, "I'm not available Monday. I'm hoping to get my stitches removed from the knife wound your client was party to." She listened. "Okay, your client alleged to be party to, but we both know he's guilty or he wouldn't have gone into hiding."

She shot a warning glare at Cordero for laughing.

He winked back.

"Tuesday, a week from today at eleven o'clock will be fine. Will your client be there?" She listened. "Yes, I'll have him arrested. There's a warrant for his arrest. I'm legally bound to turn him in. Judge Pickett told you to produce him yesterday. You didn't."

Under her breath she said, "Duh!" After a few moments of silence, she added, "Yes, having him turn himself in and paying bail is probably a good idea. Sounds like you do know how to contact him." She hung up. "The nerve of some people."

"Rogers always thought he was privileged."

"I'm beginning to understand that." She stared out the windshield. "His perceived entitlement is about to end."

He briefly glanced at her and grinned. "I know."

As they neared El Paso, Cordero asked, "Any ideas about lunch?"

"Not really. How old do you think the child is and any idea if it's a boy or girl?"

"About nine. It seems I heard something about a boy but couldn't swear to it."

"The address Carol gave me had Amy's maiden name so I'm guessing she never married."

"Too bad." Cordero frowned. "That doesn't help me with where to stop for lunch."

"Since we're probably dealing with a nine-year-old male, I'd say pizza or cheeseburgers. How about you?"

"Cheeseburgers. Okay?"

"Yes."

*****
With cheeseburgers, fries, and drinks in hand, Cordero and Alexandra returned to the pick-up.

Before Cordero turned the ignition key, he said, "I need to clarify something." When Alexandra faced him, he continued, "I don't understand why, but you changed things about yourself to be more like what your ex wanted. I'm hoping that's not why you asked if I wanted you to be more like me. I like the way you are." He thought a moment. "You didn't learn to ride for me, did you?"

She exhaled. "Around you I'm comfortable being me. Thank you for that. As for learning to ride, I wanted to."

"I'm glad." Cordero backed up. "Ready to meet Amy?"

~~~~~
Sorry, for some reason, advanced editor wouldn't let me bold the characters in the character list, after six attempts I gave up.
~~~~~~



~~~~~
Spanish accents have been removed so I don't get weird characters in my posts.

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge will use them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy



Recognized


Thank you google an image of a typical Whataburger meal. Whataburger is a Texas fast food joint. While I posted, I edited some more. Every time I read, I found something to change, I doubt I can ever get my writing perfect. I hope this post doesn't have too many errors. I am about halfway finished posting this novel and have already written my next novel. Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.