General Flash Fiction posted July 20, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Being a ...

Good neighbour

by Wendy G


Jim was a shy middle-aged man who lived alone, taught music to children, and played piano for a choir. His was a quiet life, but not unpleasant.

His new neighbours were loud – a tribe of unruly children, teenagers, and young adults.

Parties were frequent, boisterous and noisy, with alcohol flowing freely until very late. Jim didn't complain; the older ones were very big, heavily tattooed young men.

When the eldest, Mario, lost his licence, Jim was asked to drive the younger children to school, and shortly after, to help the family with shopping. Jim wanted to be a good neighbour, but felt he was being used. What could he do?

One day Mario and his brother asked him to take them shopping, wait, then drive them home. After finishing, they jumped into the car, flung their heavy backpacks between them, and cried,
"Jim, let's go!"

They hadn't gone far when a police car pulled them over. Jim wound down his window - and was shocked to see a police weapon pointed at him.

"You're under arrest!"

"Wh-why?" he stammered.

"For driving a get-away car in an armed robbery."

He glanced back, and saw Mario's gun, also pointed at him.



200 Word Flash writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story on any topic. 200 Words Exactly! Title not included in count.


Based on an event which happened to a friend. He spent the next several months in remand, then on bail, then multiple court appearances, before being acknowledged as an innocent victim, and was able to clear his name.

British/Australian spelling used.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.