Biographical Non-Fiction posted July 9, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
For the three of us, it was a

Day of healing

by Wendy G


For months I had been searching sites for rescue dogs.

My criteria were detailed. Neither too big nor too small, must be sociable, gentle with young children, adults and other dogs, trained, but not too old. I was still grieving the loss of my previous special dog, and I could not face another loss too soon.

Finally … a beautiful photo of a dog in foster care, awaiting adoption. Love at first sight.

I made an enquiry, and received a questionnaire in return, concerning our experience with dogs, the size of our backyard, height of fences, whether he would be allowed inside, how frequently he would be walked, the name of our vet – on and on.

Despite all the questions, I knew this was the right dog. My husband David was in full agreement. Next, two phone interviews. Finally the foster carer asked if we wanted him. Yes, absolutely.

Christmas was approaching, and the dog (Crank) was two hundred kilometres away. I offered to pick him up on December 26 so as not to interfere with her Christmas preparations or celebrations.

On December 23rd, my phone rang. Did we still want the dog? Of course we did! She explained she had other interested people. We decided to pick him up the next morning, Christmas Eve, putting our own plans on hold. David and I set out with eager anticipation on that beautiful sunny day!

On arrival, I looked at this small black and white bundle, and he looked at me. He came flying over as fast as his little legs could carry him, first to me, then to David, just wanting pats and cuddles. He'd adopted us!

He was most impatient for the paperwork and payment to be finalised, constantly running to the gate and back to us. The foster carer told us she'd had more than a hundred enquiries.

He was ours! We attached a lead to his collar, and he raced down the driveway pulling so hard he was coughing and choking. We'd need to buy a harness with a lead attached at the back!

His excitement when we arrived home was palpable. He checked out the house and garden, loved everything, and completed his inspection with zoomies around the backyard. His joy was complete and contagious.

Our new dog was the best Christmas gift we ever gave each other. His gift from us was a new name, Sunny. Sunny day, his sunny nature, sunshine in our hearts.

That Christmas Eve was my happiest for many years, as my father had died on a Christmas Eve. I still honour his memory; I also celebrate our adoption of Sunny. Healing and renewal. Such a special day!



A Special Day writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a true story about an event that includes you and one family member
(some elaboration is allowed)
No hospice or deathbed scenes
Word count 400-450 / Black font only
Keep it G rated--suitable for children

Recognized

#53
July
2022


(449 words)
I even had to send photos of my back yard as the foster carer couldn't check it out in person.
Thy went to a lot of trouble to find safe and loving homes for needy animals. He accepted his new name and home from the first day!
I could never understand why anyone would call him that horrid name, Crank.
We don't know for sure about his breed. He looks like a miniature Border Collie, with some Dachshund features.
The photo shows him on the day he was quite captivated by seeing himself in a mirror.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.