Biographical Non-Fiction posted July 6, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Successful at

Being ... just me

by Wendy G

Describe Yourself Contest Winner 

Like everyone, I wanted a meaningful life, being successful at SOMETHING. In retrospect, I realise that life consists of quite small meaningful experiences, and success depends upon its definition. Success in this world no longer appeals; it's irrelevant.

I am very ordinary, quiet and shy, wife, mother of three, foster-mother of one, teacher of thousands, grandmother of seven, Christian, dabbler in many interests, and volunteer.

I reflect on my family life with mixed feelings. We looked after a severely disabled child for ten years, and I was his advocate in many difficult situations where governmental expediency threatened his well-being. I learned to be strong, for him.

However, I feel my children missed out on some special childhood experiences because I was either too busy with his care, or too tired, and I have forgotten much of their childhood. Where did it go? Where did time go? Yet he is still alive and well, and they learned to be compassionate. Perhaps that's enough.

I developed the ability to overcome my natural reticence where necessary. I am not comfortable in crowds or parties; yet, place me in front of a class of teenagers, and I don my "teacher persona", at ease and confident. They know they have boundaries, and that I will draw out their best, setting a high bar of expectations. This dualism in my personality continues to amuse and puzzle me. Teaching fulfilled me. It was enough.

I enjoy many hobbies: presently heading the list is writing. I have explored various interests, but lack of perseverance, practice and patience to arrive at my goal (being brilliant or acclaimed) has diminished or eliminated any chance of "success". Was I ever likely to be outstanding at anything? No, I'm a "jack-of-all-trades, master of none".  I've enjoyed the process, however, and fortunately, that's enough.

Ten years ago, I rode a bike over two hundred kilometres in ten hours, fund-raising for cancer research – possibly my most rewarding and fulfilling life challenge, involving hours of gruelling training. I hadn't ridden a bike since childhood. Gears, cleats, even a helmet – all new experiences, along with some ungainly falls! That anticipation of a worthwhile contribution – that was enough.

I always had delusions, or illusions, of being heroic, saving some-one from danger. However, my numerous predictable (ordinary) fears preclude most rescue situations. Being unafraid of snakes or spiders is not bravery! I don't fear death, and look forward to the outcome – but I fear the dying process, losing my faculties and independence, and being unwanted.

I always want to serve the Master, but often fail, defeated by my very humanness. Ordinary me, yet still extra-ordinarily loved. More than enough!

Describe myself?

A curious mixture of aspirational, romantic idealism and the reality of being no-one special. Strong, weak, happy, sad, funny, serious, simple, complex, fulfilled, yet wanting more from life and from myself … I'm still working on understanding myself and who I am. Successful in being the mixture of ... me!


Writing Prompt

Describe in less than 500 words, in any form, poetic or verse or story form.

Describe Yourself
Contest Winner

Recognized

#12
July
2022


497 words
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.