Romance Script posted June 24, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The beginning of a romance

Follow-up to First Date, Scene 3

by BethShelby


SCENE THREE
Time Period: Late 1950’s

Characters;
Betsy: 17-year-old high school senior
Matt: Young man in early twenties. Betsy’s first date.
Lucy: 38-year-old housewife. Betsy’s mother
 
Settings:  Betsy’s Living room furnished with sofa and stuffed chair, coffee and end tables.
                  Matt’s 1957 black Pontiac sedan.

Fade in:
Betsy is wearing a frilly white blouse and tight-fitted blue skirt.  She sits on the sofa glancing nervously at her watch. Lucy enters from left.

Betsy: He’s Late. I told him to be here at seven. It’s ten minutes after seven. I’ll bet he’s changed his mind and isn’t coming.

Lucy: Give him a break. It’s not like he has to be here right on the dot. You’re just like your daddy. Always pushing people to hurry up. He has to drive nearly twenty miles to get here. Anyway, have him come in when he gets here. I want to meet him. I don’t like him dropping you off at the driveway like he did before. Boys are supposed to walk girls to the door.

Betsy: I told him to drop me off there. I didn’t know what Daddy might say to him. Don’t you think he could be on time if he really wanted to see me?

Lucy: I think he just drove up. Don’t forget to tell him to come in.

Lucy exits left. The doorbell rings and Betsy gets up and goes to the door.

Betsy: Hey, you’re late. I was afraid you’d decided to stand me up.

Matt: Hi, I’m not that late, am I? I wouldn't stand you up. I wrote you and said I was looking forward to seeing you tonight. The drive-in movie won’t start till it’s dark outside. We’ve got plenty of time.

Betsy: Well, come in. My mom wants to meet you.

Matt: What about your dad? Is he here? (Matt glances around apprehensively)

Betsy: Relax! I told you he’d be working late. I think he is over the initial shock of having his daughter go out on a date. I told him you were a perfect gentleman, and that we didn’t even hold hands. I’m reasonably sure he's not planning to shoot you.

Betsy: (Calling loudly) Matt’s here, if you want to meet him before we leave... Oh, there you are. Mom, this is Matt.

Lucy:  Well, hello Matt. It’s nice to meet you. Have you had supper? I could fix you a sandwich.

Matt: Yes Ma’am, I ate before I came. It is nice to meet you.

Lucy:: How about some cake and hot chocolate?  I’ve got some really good pound cake.

Betsy: No, Mom. He doesn’t want anything to eat. We’ve got to go. (Aside to Matt) She thinks she's got to feed everybody who walks though that door.

Matt: Thank you Ma’am, I appreciate it, but I’m pretty full from supper. It very good to meet you. I guess we should go. I might take you up on that cake another time.

Lucy: Well, you all be careful and don’t be out too late. Betsy, your daddy will have a fit if you’re not home by eleven.

Betsy: Bye Mom!

The pair get in the car and drive away.

Betsy: I see you’re still using your brother’s car. Doesn’t he ever go out?

Matt: He's still in the Navy. His car’s just sitting there. It needs to be driven. Why don’t you move over a little closer? You’re about to fall out the door (Betsy slides over a few inches) Come on; you can come closer. I don’t bite.

Betsy: Someone will see us. I don’t like the kids at school teasing me. Some people saw us the other day when we were out. They asked me who was that man I was with. They called you a man.

Matt: Well, I am a man. But I’m still a young man.

Betsy: You haven’t told me how old you are. I’ll bet you’re at least 24. Don’t you think I’m too young for you?

Matt: Well, I’m actually 26, but I’ve dated girls as young as you. You seem a lot more mature than the others I’ve dated. They can be so silly and giggle like hyenas at everything. Girls my age seem like old women. You’re just right. Do you think I’m too old for you?

Betsy: Your age doesn’t bother me, but you don’t even dress like the young guys at school. They all wear jeans and tee-shirts. I grew up with nothing but grown people around me, except at school. I don’t know how to act around people my age.. I don't really fit in anywhere.

Matt: I've always felt like a misfit, too. When I was in the Army, I was the  squad leader and the guys all called me 'Dad'I think you and I will fit in together just fine.

Matt stops the car at the drive in ticket window and pays.

Betsy: I’ve never been to a drive-in before. How does it work?

Matt: You roll down the window and clip the speaker on the side of the car. It’s getting dark now. No one can see you. I’d sure like it if you’d slide over closer.

Betsy slides over and Matt puts his arm over her shoulder and pulls her close.

Betsy: Wow! You sure smell good.

Matt: So do you. I think we’re really  going to enjoy this movie.

Fade Out:
THE END



Recognized


It isn't as long as it looks. There is a lot of spaces between the dialogue.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. BethShelby All rights reserved.
BethShelby has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.