Supernatural Fiction posted June 21, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
meeting a Ghost in Scotland

Meeting a Ghostly Laird

by jake cosmos aller

Para 11: Add comma after (American)
Para 12: I THINK (flash) should be (flask)?

Meeting a ghost on the Moors of Scotland

Sam Adams was having the time of his life. He had just turned 70 and was on a bucket list walking tour of the Scottish moors. He was part Scottish on both sides of the family. His great-grand-mother was a "Mc Clausen". Armed with info on his distant cousins, he had arranged a two-week self-guided walking tour of the Scottish highlands. Each day, he would walk ten miles to 15 miles, then stop off at an old inn and drink whiskey with the locals after doing a tasting at the local distillery. Along the way, he would meet up with distant cousins.

On the first night in Inverness, he met his cousin Jason Mc Clausen, who warned him that the trails were not safe for lone hikers.

"Sam, there is an old legendary ghost that haunts these trails. He was gone for many years, but "he" is back. He wears an old laird's costume and speaks an old 17th century dialect that is hard to follow. He comes upon hikers riding a black horse out of the fog that follows him "everywhere". He challenges the unwary to a drinking contest. If you out-drink him, he will let you pass."

Sam declined his cousin's offer but promised to call him every night to check in.

The next afternoon, a dense fog descended on the moor.

He looked up and saw an old man dressed in an ancient Laird's costume riding a black horse emerge out of the fog.

He said,

"Say, who are you and what are you doing trespassing on my lands? Speak up."

"My name is Sam Adams. I am an American, but my cousin Jason Mc Claussen lives near here."

"Say American, let's have a drink. If you can out-drink me, I'll let you pass."

He offered him a flask.

Finally, the old Laird said,

"Do you believe in ghosts?'

Sam laughed and said,

"I don't,"

The old Laird smiled and pulled out a machete.

"Do you believe now, my American friend?"




Supernatural Encounter writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Word count 300-350
Story will include a human encounter with ghosts/spirits
Your fiction story must be written suitable for children--G rated.
Black font color only


Word count 300-350
Story will include a human encounter with ghosts/spirits.
Your fiction story must be written suitable for children--G rated.
Black font color only
Deadline in 2 days
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jake cosmos aller All rights reserved.
jake cosmos aller has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.