General Fiction posted June 18, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
She...

Needed To Know

by Boogienights

Supernatural Flash Fiction Contest Winner 

Anna was lost. She was driving to her company's corporate offices for the first time for a sales department meeting and was unfamiliar with the location. Two hundred miles was a long drive and she was tired, but the meeting was in two hours and she had to be there. Somewhere on the long drive from Duluth to the Twin Cities, her GPS failed.

The street she was on looked familiar, she was sure she had been this way before, but how she ended up, here again, was a mystery. Cranston Street, she remembered the sign because she had seen a sticker with a smiley face that someone had stuck upon it.

A block ahead at the intersection she could see that a horrific accident had occurred. A semi-truck had rolled over a small compact car, crushing it under its wheels. Anna felt bad for the occupants of the car because they couldn't have survived that.

A cop was directing cars to turn around but Anna saw the tiny blue car under the truck's wheels much clearer as she turned. She had always been afraid of having an accident, since the age of sixteen when she had her first fender bender. That was her first and last mishap and she was an extremely careful driver. She drove down the street without really thinking about where she should turn next, mostly thinking about missing her meeting.

Anna was lost. She was annoyed that her clock had stopped working in her car, her cell phone was dead, and she continued to be lost. She looked up at the street sign, Cranston Street, with a smiley sticker on it. Up ahead, about a block away, she could see a horrific car accident that had happened. It seemed strangely familiar to her and she felt bad for the driver who must surely have died. She turned around, as directed by the police, feeling sad about what had happened.

Anna was lost. On Cranston Street, up ahead an accident has apparently occurred. She saw the glint of blue metal under the wheels of the semi that crushed it. Flapping in the wind was a pale green silk scarf with blue elephants on it. Anna was shocked because she had the exact same scarf in the back seat of her car. She turned around, as directed by the cop, and drove away.

Anna was lost. Cranston Street was covered in debris from a car accident, and a woman's black purse lay in the road. Its contents had spilled out and a small black address book with red and white stars lay next to it. It looked eerily close to the same one Anna had.

Anna was lost. Something felt very wrong to her. She watched the fire and rescue team try to extract some poor soul from the mangled blue car and felt like she had been there before. She thought about asking for directions but the cop kept the traffic moving. Suddenly, a snapshot of an older woman flew up to her windshield and Anna gasped. It was a photo of her mom, taken years ago at the Minnesota State Fair. It was impossible, she thought, and yet...

Anna was lost. She was now starting to understand though. She would never attend that meeting or any other. Bright light flooded the car and she heard a voice say, "Now that you know, it's time." She felt an incredible feeling of peace.

On Cranston Street, rescuers pulled out the body of a young woman in her twenties, the only fatality of that tragic accident. The cop was handed a wallet and inside was the ID of a woman named Anna Angel Jones. Anna looked on for a while, then was finally on her way home.





Writing Prompt
The character in your story is involved in some way with the supernatural.

Supernatural Flash Fiction
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Boogienights All rights reserved.
Boogienights has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.