General Flash Fiction posted June 18, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Kill or be killed - survival of the quickest. (250 words)

The Food Chain

by LisaMay



Jessica fought for control of her emotions, torn between devastation and delight. Should she go back and try to help, or just drive on? Would she regret the hit-and-run casualty, to be forever on her conscience? The sound of the body crunching under her wheels had been really satisfying. Was she a bad person?

It took her two seconds to decide. Her beloved spoilt-rotten cat, Abby, was waiting at home for her. Jessica was looking forward to a glass of wine and putting her feet up, with the cat snuggled on her lap. It would be a soothing finale to the day’s rigours in dense bushland, with more work required tomorrow.

At home, she cuddled Abby, smooching her face into the Siamese cat’s soft fur, contented purrs echoing loudly. Jessica’s mind flicked guiltily back to the death she’d caused. The feral cat, a large one with tawny markings, had run across the road with a bush wren in its mouth, just as Jessica drove around the corner.

Jessica was part of a group of volunteers undertaking predator trapping at the eco-sanctuary. A feral cat’s death would mean fewer birds being killed. Other animals they trapped were weasels and possums, both of which could devastate the bird population.

Next day, Jessica returned to the eco-sanctuary to continue the trapping work. As she rounded the same bend, the car ran over a weasel that was feasting on the feral cat’s remains. Jessica smiled, adding another dead predator to her list of ‘kills’.




 



250 Word Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.