Romance Fiction posted June 5, 2022 Chapters:  ...20 21 -22- 23... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ali talks about her feelings about Cord.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 12 C

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Good. I'll file it with the court and then I'll meet with Mr. Rogers' attorney. After that, I'll contact you. Is meeting here as a group, okay?"

Again, the ladies agreed.

"Then we're finished, unless you have something else."

As the ladies stood, Alexandra said, "I forgot something. Amy Harding is another lady Mr. Rogers has wronged. Does anybody know how to contact her?"

Carol said, "Since her grandma died, she was forced to move. She can't afford a phone, but I have her address. It's at home."

"Can I call tomorrow morning and get it?"

"Yes."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 12 C

As they walked to the pick-up, Cordero opened the door for Alexandra and said, "I enjoyed watching you. Interacting with me, you're completely different. It seems there are professional confident Alexandra and then a girl-next-door Ali. Which is the real Ali?"

"I guess you're right. I'm more comfortable being Ali. Aren't there two Cords?"

"Maybe, but I don't think there's such a huge difference." He glanced toward the storefronts. "In the next block is my favorite pizza place. Would you like to join me?"

Alexandra checked her watch. "In fifteen minutes, you have a dinner date."

"I called the restaurant and left the message that I declined." He held out his phone for Alexandra to read. "Ellen sent me a text after she delivered it. I'd like to have pizza with you, if you want."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive. I've already explained Joyce and I are over."

Alexandra's eyes met his. "If you're positive, I'd like to have pizza with you."

Cordero cupped her elbow and led her to the small restaurant. "I hope you like it."

"I'm sure I will."

Inside, a tall heavyset man walked over to them and shook Cordero's hand. "
No te he visto en mucho tiempo. Me alegro verte." (Hey, man, I haven't seen you in a while. I'm glad you're here.) He glanced at Alexandra. "Quien es la guapa senora contigo?" (Who is the beautiful lady with  you?)

Cordero put his arm around Alexandra's waist. "Ali, I'd like you to meet my closest friend, Rico. We've known each other since before kindergarten. His dad owns this place. As teenagers, we spent hours sitting around these tables."

Rico took her hand and said with a heavy accent. "Ali, it's very nice to meet you." He hesitated. "You don't speak Spanish, do you?"

"Sorry Sir, I don't."

"Since Cord introduced us in English, I guessed you didn't. It was rude of me to speak in Spanish. I'm sorry."

She smiled. "I'm guessing you said something like, I haven't seen you in a while, how have you been, and who's your date?"

"Cord, she's a keeper. She did a good job figuring out what I said."

"I plan on it." He nodded toward the back. "We need that back table."

"You got it."

"I'll send the drinks back. You're usual?"

"I'll have a soda." Cordero faced Alexandra.

"A glass of water with lemon if you have it."

"I do. I'll send them right back."

Cordero held her chair as she sat. After he sat, he set the menu aside and studied her.

Her eyebrows rose. "What are you doing?"

"I've mentioned before I'm watching your figure. This time I'm checking to see what pizza I should order." As she shook her head, he continued, "Your figure's saying a thin crust with only vegetables. Am I close?"

"Hmm."

"I see a smile. My plan's working."

Alexandra reached across the table and squeezed his upper arm. "I'm checking to see what pizza you'd order."

He flexed. "Now try. You'll get a better read." After she squeezed it again, he said, "You need to be careful. Your eyes reveal your thoughts. I see you approve."

The color of her cheeks traveled the spectrum from pink to deep red.

"What pizza are you suggesting for me?" asked Cordero.

"I see a problem. Your pizza would be hand tossed meat lovers. I guess we're at an impasse. How are we going to compromise?"

"Good question. My suggestion would be..." his fingers drum rolled on the table, "A medium thin and crispy veggie pizza and a small hand tossed meat lovers. My question - are there any vegetables you don't want?"

"No tomatoes or jalapenos."

He motioned for Rico to come over. When he did, he brought drinks.

After placing the order, Rico asked, "Cord, you sure about the jalapenos?"

He glanced at Ali. "I'm sure."

She mouthed, "Thank you."

After a few minutes of silence, Cordero said, "I asked for this table, so we'd have privacy."

When Alexandra didn't speak, he continued, "I see I'm suddenly getting the quiet lawyer. I'll begin. I thought I made it clear I have no intentions of ever renewing a relationship with Joyce. I'm sorry this hurt you. Please share your thoughts. We can't get past this unless you talk."

Alexandra studied her placemat while she picked at a corner, so Cordero said, "Would it help if I reminded you, I want to see where our relationship takes us?"

After exhaling a deep breath, she said, "I knew I enjoyed your company. At first, I thought I was rebounding, and then realized I never loved Alan. Mom always said if a man's right for you, you'll feel a sizzle."

"Mom's mentioned that sizzle too. Did you feel the sizzle with him?" When she shook her head, he asked, "Then why were you engaged?"

"He was so sure about everything I thought it was there, but I'd missed it. Did you feel it with Joyce?"

"I did not. Please continue."

"When I realized I wasn't rebounding, I thought my attraction for you was because you were nice to me, and I was hungry for male attention."

Cordero removed his bandana and handed it to her. "In case you need it." He noticed Rico bringing the pizzas but motioned him to wait.

After accepting his bandana, Alexandra continued, "Yesterday after meeting Joyce..." She exhaled. "I know I had no right, but it hurt and forced me to realize how much I care for you."

He took her hand.

"I know my job and family are in New York City." Alexandra wiped moisture from her eyes. "I want to see where this relationship goes, but there are so many red flags and they're flying high."

"I know. The major problem is you live in New York City and me here."

"I don't see how we can get around that."

"If our relationship continues to grow, we'll have to work out a compromise like we did with the pizza." Cordero motioned for Rico to bring the pizza.


~~~~~
I'll be at Corpus Christie enjoying the beach Monday - Wednesday.  My answering reviews and reviewing will be limited.  My sixteen-year-old grandson is visiting.
~~~~~

~~~~~
Spanish accents have been removed so I don't get weird characters in my posts.

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge will use them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.

Elote (eh-LOH-teh), also known as Mexican street corn, is salty, sweet, crunchy, and creamy in every bite. It hits all the right flavor notes, especially hot off the grill in the summer months when fresh corn is at its peak and abundantly available at every market. It's a popular street food in Mexico and can be served as a snack or side dish.
~~~~~



CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

Joyce: Cords' ex-girlfriend

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Rico: Cord's best friend since kindergarten



Recognized


Thank you google images of examples of a meat lovers pizza. Again, yesterday I made changes. I hope I didn't leave in or take out needed words or punctuation. Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.