General Non-Fiction posted June 5, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Righteous judgement came from above

Sodom and Gomorrah

by T B Botts


My last post about the act of terror on the subway prompted a remark from Giraffmang that I found particularly interesting. He mentioned that if I were to intervene to help the poor fellow that was being brutalized, in today's justice system, I would be the one to be prosecuted. I believe that he is probably correct.

I was going to write a story that I had read about the justice system in Sodom that I find quite humorous, and perhaps another time I will, but as I was reading again the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, I was touched by the righteous spirit that was in Abraham, the father of the Jewish people.

In Genesis, Chapter 18, God is visiting Abraham to let him know that his wife Sarah will become pregnant at the ripe old age of 90. While He was there, He decided to let Abraham know that He was going to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah because the wickedness was more than He could bear. It was Abraham's response that so touched me.

"What if there are fifty righteous with the wicked? Will you really sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? Far be it from you to do such a thing-to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you. Will not the judge of all the earth do right?"

If you're familiar with the story, Abraham pleaded with God to spare the city if only ten righteous people could be found in it and God agreed, that if ten were found righteous, He would spare the city. As you may know, there weren't even ten found righteous. Abraham's nephew, Lot, and his family were escorted out of the city before it was destroyed by fire and brimstone.

I sometimes look around me; I listen to the headlines in the news and think, we are coming frightfully close to being as Sodom and Gomorrah were. It wasn't just sexual sin that brought their end; they had so turned from God that everything they did was perverse and evil. Even so, God was willing to listen to someone who would stand in the gap for them and pray for them. The word says that God gets no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but instead wants everyone to turn to Him and enjoy life. We get to choose the path we take. Will not the judge of all the earth do right? Yes He will. I hope that you will join me in praying for this country, that God will spare us from His righteous judgement and we will turn to Him once again.

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by seshadri_sreenivasan at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. T B Botts All rights reserved.
T B Botts has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.