Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted May 24, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Show don't tell

Show Some Respect

by Earl Corp


Armed Forces Day is an annual observance dedicated to those presently serving in the United States Armed Forces. The best way to honor service members can be summed up in one word—respect.
 
It’s not Veterans Day or Memorial Day. To be respectful you should know the difference. Memorial Day’s for remembering the fallen in the name of freedom. Veterans Day pays homage to everybody who served, regardless of which era, or service.
 
Another way show respect to those who are serving in the military is learn the proper nomenclature regarding each service.
 
Soldiers isn’t a one-size fits-all term. Call a Marine a soldier and see what happens. For further clarification there aren’t ex-Marines. Once the title is earned it’s for life. Soldiers is the title of anyone who served in the Army. Those enlisting into the Navy are sailors. Air Force personnel are Airman.

 Remember, anyone serving has written a blank check payable to the USA for an amount up to, and including, their life.Freedom’s isn’t free. The cost has an effect on all of us. We need these reminders to be thankful for those serving, that are picking up the tab for the rest of us.
 
I know a lot of people want to say thank-you to the military for their service. There are a couple of ways to do it without walking straight up to them and saying thank you.
 
You can show up at one of the several local Memorial Day activities; it’s the least you can do to be respectful. Remember you’re free because they showed up.
 
Another way to provide service members some comfort from home is a care package project. You can either donate or pack boxes. You can’t imagine how it feels to open a package full of goodies from home. It’s humbling and it makes you feel appreciated for being somewhere others wouldn’t go and doing things others wouldn’t do.

Take some time and actually talk to a service member when you cross paths.  Really listen to what they have to say. Be respectful, don’t ask them if they ever killed someone. Let them share what they want to share.

Most important of all, be the type of American that is worthy of the sacrifices which have been made so you can be free. These few things would mean a whole lot more to a service member than a handshake and thank-you.

 




* Nomenclature-the term or terms applied to someone or something
Word count 400
Dedicated to those serving past and present.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Earl Corp All rights reserved.
Earl Corp has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.