Humor Non-Fiction posted May 18, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Naming a local irritation.

A Pain In The Butt

by LisaMay



The city of Dunedin, in which I live in southern New Zealand, is currently undergoing disruption with a major building project within the city centre. Neighbouring businesses and traffic flows around the site are being severely impacted, and there is much disgruntlement, especially as public consultation showed a different site was preferred for our new hospital. We all acknowledge and are grateful this project is for the long-term good of our city, but meanwhile, and for the next couple of years, our nerves will be frazzled.

Soon there will be more impact. Daily ones, in fact. Work will begin any day now on the task of driving 428 piles into the ground as the base for the building. To lighten the community mood, a contest was set up requesting names for the large, red, 14-tonne pile-driving hammer. I thought of a name and submitted it, as did many others. After the x-rated ideas were deleted and a panel judged the remainder, I was pleased to see my suggestion was still up for consideration on the short-list of choices: MD Hammer, Lipstick, Big Red, and Hammeroid.

The final public vote result was notified in this morning’s newspaper, along with a photo of the person who was the first to email the chosen name for the hammer. I should’ve put my entry in quicker. It was the same name I’d come up with — Hammeroid. I thought, as did the voting public, it was an appropriate name for a piece of irritating, pile-driving equipment for a hospital.



Photo by Stephen Jaquiery, Otago Daily Times, showing the 14-tonne pile-driving hammer.
 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.