General Fiction posted May 17, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sometimes Justice comes in unusual forms.

The verdict

by Barry Penfold


The jury door opened. Seven days of a murder trial and three days of deliberation . The decision now walked with the chairperson.

Barry Coles son had given no evidence in his defense. Legal tactic, muttered his lawyer.
"Dad, I had nothing to do with it." Barry now had doubts. But there was something strange. Juror Number nine appeared to nod at him with a slight smile on her face.

The judge had warned, that not giving testamony ,could not be used as evidence of guilt. So what, Barry thought. These jurors were workers. They wanted to hear from his son. Legal tactic bullshit.

Praying helped.
Was God listening? Where was Justice?

The chairperson rose.
Without prompting, Juror Number nine also rose and the tension heightened.
The Judge enquired:
" Yes madam, what is the problem?"
Her voice, hesitant,
"Your honor, I hold a secret. I was there. I am the murderer."






Flash Fiction contest entry


Just when you think it is all over. Something comes along.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Barry Penfold All rights reserved.
Barry Penfold has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.