Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted May 14, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Building resilience to cope with mental unease.

Strategies For Wellbeing

by LisaMay




Sometimes situations have impacted my life when I realised my mental health needed support. Bereavement, betrayal, loneliness, unemployment, phobia all took their toll at times. I think it is essential to remember there IS support available, that problems can be shared to help you through the dark times and throw light on how to deal with them. Unfortunately, some disorders require long-term professional management.

Mental health awareness should be a daily focus — be proactive in helping your own mental stability. Understanding what works for us as individuals to keep us grounded is so important for our personal wellbeing and interactions with others.

What is wellbeing? It is a perception that your life is going well, best defined as overall satisfaction with life, having positive emotions and moods due to contentment and happiness through feeling fulfilled. Health is a major factor in feeling content.

When your situation feels overwhelming, consider the following five simple strategies. They will build resilience and alleviate feelings of stress, depression, and anxiety. These ‘Five Ways to Wellbeing’ were developed by the New Economics Foundation (NEF) on behalf of the Foresight Commission in the UK; they have been adapted by various mental health agencies worldwide.

1. Connect  
Having quality relationships is important in feeling valued; reach out to others; talk, listen.

2. Be active
This will help you feel healthier and more energetic; move your mood.

3. Keep learning
Stimulate your brain with engaging activities (such as FanStory); be curious; try new experiences.

4. Give
Carry out acts of kindness; volunteer; share your time and attention with others.

5. Take notice
Remember the simple things that give you joy.

Incorporating these strategies into your life will assist psychological wellbeing. You are not alone in your problems, unless you want to be.



 



Mental Health Awareness Week writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
This year's theme for the UK Mental Health Awareness Week (May 9 to 15) is loneliness. But a short piece (poem or prose [under 300 words]) on any aspect of Mental Health is acceptable.

Recognized


Author Note:
I live in New Zealand, so some information was gained from this website:
https://mentalhealth.org.nz/five-ways-to-wellbeing

Here is another one from UK:
https://www.manchestermind.org/mhaw-5-ways/




Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by M MILLER at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.