General Non-Fiction posted May 4, 2022 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The flower moon will also be a blood moon.

A chapter in the book Earth's Magnificent Moon

May's Full Moon is Special

by BethShelby


May gifts our planet with the flower moon.
A special treat will grace our night skies soon.
A blood moon comes mid-month for all to see.
Eclipses were thought signs of things to be.

When Earth blocks out the sun, the moon turns red.
There isn't anything for us to dread.
If you’re not superstitious, you'll be fine.
Enjoy it as a gift from the Divine.

 
 
The May moon is called the flower moon for the obvious reason that May is a time when we have an abundance of flowers blooming. This year between the 15th and 16th, we will have a special treat when the moon is full,  Our moon will go into a total lunar eclipse between midnight and one a.m. It should be visible over the Americas, Antarctica, Western Europe, Africa and the eastern Pacific. Other parts of the world will see a partial eclipse.

In times past, eclipses were viewed with superstition and the belief they were omens which portended evil or disaster. Some have taken eclipses as signs of Bible prophecy and end of the world. There are prophetic verses which speak of the moon appearing like blood. Smoke from a forest fires or volcanos could also give the moon the red color of blood.

Europeans in the Middle Ages thought there should be no sexual activity during a lunar eclipse, because any “moon children” would be born with ugly demons inside them. A modern superstition also has it that a pregnant woman shouldn’t touch her belly during a lunar eclipse. Doing so would cause the baby to be born with a birthmark. She shouldn't touch anything sharp during the eclipse or this might cause a deformity. One woman claimed, because she failed to heed the warning, her baby was born with a finger missing.

There is a story about Columbus tricking the natives, who were refusing to give him food, into believing he could cause the moon to go dark, unless they gave him what he needed. He knew a lunar eclipse would soon occur, and when his threat came to pass, they were frightened by his amazing power and gave him what he needed.

The Incas, the Hopi Indians, and other cultures had many legends that indicated some giant beast had attacked the moon causing it to bleed.

Today we know a lunar eclipse happens when the Earth moves into a position directly between the moon and the sun, which causes the sun’s light to cast Earth’s shadow over the moon’s surface, darkening the moon in the process. 

I read something this morning about the moon which I found interesting. Scientists say Earth is losing water because the moon is stealing water during a five-day period each month when the moon passes through the earth's magnetosphere. This is a period when the water vapor can be siphoned by the moon. The article stated there is as much as 840 cubic miles of water in the form of ice on the moon, and most of it came from earth.


It has been a while since I witnessed a lunar eclypse, so I hope the sky will be free of clouds that night. If we miss this one, we will have another chance this year. Another blood moon will occur in November.



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. BethShelby All rights reserved.
BethShelby has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.